I love my Varizone but...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I would like all cross hairs too, perhaps Excalibur was trying to avoid infringing on a copyright?
The recital in that Hawk scope are pretty cool, may be worth looking at.
And yes, the Lumi-Zone has the same set up as the Vari-Zone. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i never even use the 40-50 yard pins other than in the yard..

I'd like to see just one main crosshiar and then a little dot below that for 30

but one crosshair would work fine for me also :P But the deer is usually so close all 4 marks are on him :P
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I just wish the triangles were different colors or shapes . . .I have to think too much and start counting before I shoot as it stands.

Each yardage needs it's own marker . . .triangle, rectangle, square . . .something different. They could come up with a design that points and is still different.

Too bad Bill T is out of town, I guess we will just have to fix this ourselves! Meet me at Excalibur in an hour. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
lscha

Post by lscha »

I'm glad it is as clean as it is.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Boo

Post by Boo »

bstout wrote:Looking at the Hawke and others (I own three of the Simmons crossbow scopes) that have crosshairs all the way down, it gives the scope a very crowded sight picture.

It's like looking through Venetian blinds.

Excalibur did the right thing by allowing a clear view on their scopes in my opinion.

I appreciate the chevrons.
Agreed! The less clutter the better.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i would like to see just a 2 aiming pts hunting scope, be set at 20 & 30 yds or 25 & 35 yds. that shouldn't be too hard to make
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mikej

Post by mikej »

Boo wrote:
bstout wrote:Looking at the Hawke and others (I own three of the Simmons crossbow scopes) that have crosshairs all the way down, it gives the scope a very crowded sight picture.

It's like looking through Venetian blinds.

Excalibur did the right thing by allowing a clear view on their scopes in my opinion.

I appreciate the chevrons.
Agreed! The less clutter the better.
i agree too, i had a horton before my phoenix and when i sold it i kept the scope off of it which had 4 crosshairs with the intention of using it on the phoenix but after looking at the bow with varizone on it i decided to buy it with the varizone. i found it to have a much better field of view with much less clutter than the old horton.
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
skamaniac

Post by skamaniac »

For hunting purposes, a single heavy cross hair is all that is needed.
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

I think if the varizone had more crosshairs it would not be adjustable for the speed of your arrow.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I find the triangles on my Lumis and the Hawke very handy. Forces me to think about using the right one. Ask my buddy who missed a very nice 10 point buck from using his crssohairs ..... at 40 yards. Ooooops!
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I like mine it seems to be very handy..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

sumner4991 wrote:I just wish the triangles were different colors or shapes . . .I have to think too much and start counting before I shoot as it stands.

Each yardage needs it's own marker . . .triangle, rectangle, square . . .something different. They could come up with a design that points and is still different.

Too bad Bill T is out of town, I guess we will just have to fix this ourselves! Meet me at Excalibur in an hour. :lol:
I'm with you on that Sumner. I have caught myself using the wrong delta a few times at 3D this summer. I have to really consciously count the marks. It's not instinctive at all. I also have to make sure I didn't start by counting the first delta as 20! :oops: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I use a varizone on both of my crossbows, the old carved tip exocet and the phoenix. The scopes are sighted in at twenty-five yards.

I never shoot beyond thirty yards and I hold the cross hair just a smidge high, maybe an inch or two when I paint a buck at that estimated distance.

At twenty yards or less I hold the reticle about an inch low.

And to me, it has now become "instinctive" to do so.

I have never ever utilized the chevrons in any hunting condition.

The cross hairs are all I need.

I am glad the chevrons are small and do not clutter up my view too badly.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

For hunting I would say that I'd just do the same as you Mike - just use the crosshairs. My personal limit would be 30 yards.

But in 3D we're shooting over 50 yards and accurate range estimation is what makes or breaks the scores so I use the deltas for that.

(Just a general side comment, I personally think that shooting 3D can lead shooters to think that they can take those same longer shots in hunting situations. Sometimes tough to remember that even if you're a crack shot to 60+ yards on those foam animals, deer are more apt to "jump the string"/duck the noise beyond a certain distance.)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

ok y'all quit talking about me! :shock:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315