vortex broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bill morrison

vortex broadhead

Post by bill morrison »

new to crossbow hunting. shoot thunderhead 125 in my compound but looking for mechanical from my vortex. looking at great reviews from cabelas site on the 125 gr. vortex head. i know this is one of the older mechanicals on the market so was wondering if anyone has any experience with this broadhead.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Can't help you with the mechs Bill. Tried some and had premature deployment. Besides I wanted something I can shoot through mesh. My Vortex THRIVES on 100g Slick Trick Mags. One very tough and accurate head. It's 4 blades and low profile keep it from affecting arrow flight. But when it hit...WOW! I don't bother to practice with them any longer, fly so much like my field points.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Now a days, if you are having premature deployment with a mechanical, then it's user error.

The simplicity of the mechanicals, the accuracy, and the big cuts make them the broadhead of choice for a lot of hunters. Sure, they have their weaknesses . . .so do fixed blade broadheads. However, with proper preparation both fixed blade and mechanical work perfectly.

I will not deter someone from using a fixed blade broadhead by saying, "I had the wind blow one off course once, so I don't use them anymore".

It's a personal preference. Either one is fine.

The Vortex . . .I've heard some good things too. However, over the last two seasons, no forum member has reported a kill from using one.

If you decide to try them out, then let us know how they work in the field.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

decided to at least give the vortex head a try. they should be here any day now. season opens 1 oct. hoe to have field test report by end of that weekend, either on pork or venison, with venison preferred.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

deleted
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.