Stubborn Inserts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

skamaniac

Stubborn Inserts

Post by skamaniac »

I have a few Carbon Express bolts that i want to re-fletch and add brass inserts but the aluminum inserts are being stubborn and i can't get them out. I've tried heating a screw and also the boiling water method but then refuse to loosen up. The also have flat plastic nocks. Any ideas on how to get these out?
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
houndogger

Post by houndogger »

Pull the plastic nock and insert a drill bit that fits in the arrow with some room. Now swing the arrow like you are trying to crack a whip. This will break the insert free after a few whips of the arrow. But be careful when it lets go it may take off in a hurry, aim in a safe place. Hope it works for you.

Dogger
You gotta squeeze the trigger Harley. Don't yank it, It's not your d#$!.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

houndogger wrote:Pull the plastic nock and insert a drill bit that fits in the arrow with some room. Now swing the arrow like you are trying to crack a whip. This will break the insert free after a few whips of the arrow. But be careful when it lets go it may take off in a hurry, aim in a safe place. Hope it works for you.

Dogger
Dogger . . .good idea. Never tried that one. Ever lost a drill bit? :lol: Basically, you are hammering out the insert with the drill bit, right?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
diesel

Post by diesel »

I will use a 1/4" steel rod 16 to 24" long and drop it down in the shaft to loosen the insert.
Good luck getting brass inserts for the Carbon Express I've not found any to fit. It's really hard to find flat nocks for the carbon express too. You may want to cut the insert out so you can save the flat nock and use 8/32" set screws to add weight.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Probably be $$$$ ahead to sell the arrows you don't like and buy what you want. A couple ruined arrows could easily pay the postage to do some trading. :wink:
wabi
houndogger

Post by houndogger »

sumner4991 wrote:
Dogger . . .good idea. Never tried that one. Ever lost a drill bit? :lol: Basically, you are hammering out the insert with the drill bit, right?
Thats right, It takes a few swings sometimes to get things moving but it works well.

Dogger
You gotta squeeze the trigger Harley. Don't yank it, It's not your d#$!.
Stash

Post by Stash »

Tape a small plastic bag over the end of the shaft - that way the insert and drill bit don't go on a vacation... :)