New vert bow/shoulder testing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

New vert bow/shoulder testing

Post by DuckHunt »

With my son projected to cut heavily into my time behind the Exomax this season I was in need of another bow. I got rid of my previous vert bow following a shoulder injury in 2006.

I picked up a new Diamond "Rock" 70# bow last weekend. Initially I thought 70# may be a bit much for the shoulder so I cranked it down to about 60#. After a couple days at 60# I cranked it back to 70#. Well, after a few days at 70# I've turned it back to 60#. Its just far more comfortable to shoot right now at 60#.

Strength isn't my problem, its stamina. Even with 80% let off I can't hold it back too long. The longer I hold it back, the more erratic I shoot. I'm decent out to 30 yards. 40 is still well outside my comfort zone. I shot fixed blade broadheads today just for kicks and they hit the same as the field points. Maybe by the end of the year I'll get a chance to take it to the woods and shoot something close. It sure is quiet compared to the Max. :)

Any of you guys spend time hunting with vertical bows and crossbows each season?

DuckHunt
Grizzly Adam

Re: New vert bow/shoulder testing

Post by Grizzly Adam »

DuckHunt wrote: Any of you guys spend time hunting with vertical bows and crossbows each season?
Absolutely not.

It isn't allowed.

You are hereby banished from the forum! :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

ARGHHHHH! tell me it ain't so, not a vertical compound. woe is me, this is bad very bad! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Them aint REAL bows!!!!!!!!
REAL bows don't have wheels.

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was shooting my PSE today. :shock:
I can't shoot my longbows or recurves because of my shoulder, but I can shoot a compound with the let-off taking the pressure off my shoulder.
I'm not comfortable with my accuracy level for hunting, but it's fun to shoot.
wabi
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

oh yeah. actually got the vortex for my son to get him into bowhunting. typical today spam, no time for practice with compounds, so we go out the other day and he shoots 2 bolts into the bull at twenty free hand turns and says thats good i can kill a deer with that, and heads back into the house. but yes i will shoot it also,but i still like the vertical bow as well.
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Good hunting with your new bow.

This will be my first season hunting, in PA, with a CB. Here in CT because of the zone I live and hunt in I'll be using my Bob Lee T/D longbow. I've taken deer in the past with compounds but don't currently own one. So long as one is hunting/trapping legally and safely I've no problem with whatever tool(s) they use.

Take care...

Ps. I also hunt, at times, with a sidelock BP rifle and with a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag. revolver.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i hunt with both... i try to get a good buck with the xcal first... then ill switch to the compound Hoyt
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Oh how I wish I could still hunt with my old Bear Kodiac.... But, I'm very happy to shoot the Exomag.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

I had major shoulder surgery in 2006 for a full thickness tear of my left rotator cuff and thought my compound days were finished.Last year i bought a truth2 and just love it.Im an avid watcher on this forum and love my exocet but i just love the challenge of deer hunting with a compound bow.
Truth is shooting deer with my crossbow just became to easy. :cry: