Firenocks and goldtips ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bojangles

Firenocks and goldtips ?

Post by bojangles »

Will the flat Firenocks fit in my goldtips(crazyfarmer arrows)?If so how do I get the nock thats in there now out?
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

I just removed the nock from one arrow that I cracked by hitting it with another arrow while target practicing..I had to use a lighter to melt the glue and wiggle out the nock with a field point threaded into it..it was pretty easy BUT the lighter blackend the back part of the arrow wrap...But im willing to trade off a small blackend mark on my wrap for the lighted nock...Cant really even notice the mark around wrap..it looks like it suppose to be like that.
Last edited by bojangles on Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Next time, try a long machine screw in a vise and heat it well away from arrow. Pull at the same time you apply heat.

I got some 6" 8-32 TPI rod at an Ace hdwe that I use. I stick about 3-4" horizontal out of my vise. If you arte doing more than one, use a glove to take the nock off the screw or it will mildly burn your fingers.
"Eze 18:21"
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

I think this is a good time for me to chime in here.
I make a lot of bolts for many people. All of them want something a little different. If people are going to shoot 3-D targets, they "WILL" need permanent glue. If not, you will pull the rear nocks out, or shoot the front inserts out or leave them in the target. Before people wanted to be able to change inserts or nocks, so I was using epoxy's and hot melts, they would go to 3-D shoots and call me back saying they came out in the targets. Explaining to people that if your using permanent glues, you will likely do damage getting them out. But they will endure any target abuse. It is my belief that right up front people should be saying exactly what they intend to do with them besides hunting. Some targets out there will eat bolts and inserts! If you are wishing to change nocks down the road to luminocks or other, specify before ordering. If you are buying from the store stock bolts, you dont know what glue is used, so you take your chance at damage if removing. Remember heat will damage even if you dont see it. Be carefull if you do.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

It really didnt take that much heat..I maby held the lighter on it for 10-15seconds while I rotated the arrow to heat evenly.I dont think it hurt the arrow any because I used my bare hands and did not get burnt so I doubt it hurt the arrow.I actually didnt melt/burn the wrap..just blackend it.I can scrape off the black but it takes a little while. The arrow wrap is still underneath the black after I scrap some off...I had not planned on using Firenocks with them but I would like to try them now and im going to do them this way because its easy for me and is cheaper than ordering more arrows without nocks+Firenocks.
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

how much will my impact point drop?..any estimates??On their website it says they are 29 grains...Maby they wont effect the POI that much and I can leave the scope like it is???
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

How much lighted nocks affect POI depends somewhat on the arrow. If you're using high FOC arrow, then 15-20 g more weight in back (may) not matter that much. If the arrows are low FOC and large vanes, POI may change.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!