Hunting in the wind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Hunting in the wind

Post by B-Logger »

How does everyone handle the high winds?

It is gusting pretty high now and we are expected to get even higher gusts; up to 50-60 mph yet today and tonight. It reminded me of when hunting; what to do?

I have hunted quite a bit in the wind and have somewhat changed my mind. I used to just quit but not any more because I've seen good deer movement in the wind. The bad thing though is watching for the widow makers; those rotten limbs that might come crashing down on your noggin.

And the swaying in the treetops if you are a tree stand hunter in the wind. A few years back I took a video up in a tree with me and took some pictures. After showing my wife, she confirmed my crazyness!
Keep smiling!
Dennis
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

same here in Ohio today..gusting right now in 25-35 mph.I really wanted to hunt this evening but wasnt sure if the deer would bemoving in high winds???Its very cool here too now....
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

The wind blows virtually all the time here in East Carolina (there's a reason the Wright Brothers came here! :P ) ... and I can tell you that it doesn't bother the deer here too much!

We hardly ever see a dead-calm day. Extremely rare around here.

Perhaps it's all in what they're used to.
Grizz
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Windy as well down here in the southwest portion of Ohio.

I will not go out as I only hunt with climbers.

I will however scout some bean fields close to the neighborhood.

It has been my experience that deer are more prone to stay bedded during windy conditions.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

Mike P wrote:Windy as well down here in the southwest portion of Ohio.

It has been my experience that deer are more prone to stay bedded during windy conditions.
Hey mike iam looking into buying a few climbers is there a issue with climbing in the wind i have never used one so iam oblivous to how dangerous they are any advise would be apericated thanks
dutchhunter

wind

Post by dutchhunter »

i find deer head for open spaces in the wind as thy donot like all the noise in the woods thy can see beter in the open .i find them bedded in bean feilds or hay feilds on windy days DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I like to stalk hunt when its windy, in a 3d suit. everything is moving with the 3d suit and the wind hides your noise a bit.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

deer jamie wrote:
Mike P wrote:Windy as well down here in the southwest portion of Ohio.

Hey mike iam looking into buying a few climbers is there a issue with climbing in the wind i have never used one so iam oblivous to how dangerous they are any advise would be apericated thanks
Jamie, I'm not Mike but can tell you climbing in the wind is no problem. The biggest problem with climbers is when you are trying to climb a smooth bark tree, like beech, poplar, red oak, etc. If they are wet or frosty, they can be pretty darned slippery. I've seen guys put screws in the back of the stand where it meets the tree; cut the head off so there is a sharp spot that will dig into the bark. I don't do that because I don't like to scar the bark at all.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

deer jamie wrote: Hey mike iam looking into buying a few climbers is there a issue with climbing in the wind i have never used one so iam oblivous to how dangerous they are any advise would be apericated thanks
There is no issue other then the tree swaying back and forth and it makes it harder to aim. I just will not go up in the trees when the wind is blowing as hard as it is today.

Might get seasick! :lol:

Jamie, check your other thread about climbing tree stands, I left you more information there.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I didn't go out, deer don't really move in this much wind. Plus I always pi$$ the wrong way; I never was good with aerodynamics.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I killed my biggest buck last year in the 40mph gusts here.... also ended up sick for 2 weeks after that :oops:

hunt the bottoms or low lands.. hunt the sides of ridges that are out of the wind. Thats where the deer will be. I always had low on hill sides when its windy. Granted the winds can swirl alot, but its about the only chance you can get