Hate to admit it.....but I am a 52 year old rookie.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longwinters

Hate to admit it.....but I am a 52 year old rookie.

Post by longwinters »

With Michigan legalizing crossbows for those 50 and older, I figured I would take the leap. Shot compound and recurves for 30 years doing hunting, leagues and tournys. Was quite obsessed with archery. Anyway, I ordered and received my Exocet today. I got it with the varizone scope package. It all went together easy enough, but I have a question or 2.

Can't believe I sold my compound and bought a crossbow on the 1st day (yesterday) of bow season :oops: . Anyway, how often do you have to wax the serving on the string? Or do you use something else on a crossbow? Also, how does a 3 blade broadhead have to sit on the bow? And doesn't it scratch things up...or doesn't it drag on the platform?

I can see there is a learning curve here as there certainly are some differences between what I am used to and what I read you guys talking about. I look at my crossbow and it looks, to me, like the launch deck for jet fighters off of a ship :lol:

Long
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum, Longwinters!! Wax the serving every 20 shots or so, The whole string 50 shots or so. Dont wax the rail. This is what I have been told from forum members here.

All the cossbows I have owned have been the higher fps models. The broadhead does not sit in the rail, it overhangs. The lower draw weight models have shorter rails, so they would do the same, just to more extent.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Arkbow

rookie

Post by Arkbow »

Longwinters;

First of all, welcome; you have bought the best, excalibur; no need to feel bad because everyone has to start somewhere; I too shot for years with compounds and enjoyed them to the max but about 15 years started hunting/shooting with x-bows and have never looked back;

Wax your serving every 50 shots or so; PLEASE use the bolts that excal recommends; you have a dvd in your package that explains just about all you need to know to get a good start; the bolts {arrows} are 20 inches long and your broadheads will sit past the "launch pad"; you are in the BEST company here on this forum; please, don't hesitate to ask ANY questions that you may have; we all want you have a pleasant experience and please know that you will trully enjoy the journey;

The x-bow you have chosen will give you many years of enjoyment and the service provided by excalibur is like none other on earth; now may God have mercy upon ALL animals that you hunt... :D
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
Boo

Post by Boo »

Welcome to the forum Longwinters!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Welcome, I am 2 yrs from 50 and just got into bows last year in the middle of rifle season. Had a buck in open field, 40 yards in from of me and I didn't shoot. Let him walk. My father came running down and asked why and told him I never had a good shot. He got excited and said " not a good shot he was in the open right in front of you." I said boldy, " Dad never had a good shot." He walked away shaking his head. Left the field that morning and went and bought a crossbow and my Dad figured out why I didn't shoot when I went over and showed him my new bow. Now he is 87 years old and bow hunts with me this year. Got Dad trained with my Vixon. Going out this am with Dad for the first time. Have never seen Dad so excited.

Just remember to keep thumb and fingers below the rail!!!!!!!!!!!!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the forum :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Welcome to the forum, we were all new at this once upon a time. Enjoy and ask away :D
"Eze 18:21"
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Welcome to the forum . Lots of good information here . Many knowledgable people to answer your crossbow questions .
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Welcome to the forum!

Where in the central UP are you? Anywhere near Shingleton or Manistique? We used to live near Escanaba but hunted near Shingleton for many years. Now we are in the lower and haven't hunted the up for about 10 years. I miss it even though there are not the deer numbers that there are here.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome to the forum. :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

WELCOME!! you will enjoy the forum and the bow!
The best things in life are not things!!
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

B Logger, I am in the Iron Mountain area.

I shot the Exocet today....What a rush! Shot the 1st arrow at 10 yds (off hand). the bolt blew right thru my, well used, Block target. Hmmmm, better get a better target.

My buddy had a bag target so I went to that. 2nd arrow was @ 12 oclock and a couple inches high. Cool...... Went to 20 yds. Took 3 shots, off hand, and all three bolts were still a bit high but the group was tight enough that the vanes were all touching. WOW, right out of the box and that kind of accuracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am still grinning.

Put the 125 gn Muzzy practice head on and it shot very accurately but about 4" low. Adjusted the scope and went to 30 yds. Wha!!! dead nuts at 30 yds. We were taking turns shooting it and it was right on every time. But by this time we were shooting off of a rest. I don't think I could shoot nearly as accurately off hand.

So how about it. Do you guys shoot mostly off hand or do you use shooting sticks or something?

Thanks for the nice welcome and advice.

Long
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

welcome to the forum. congrats on yer e'cet. practice in all positions that you think you may get a shot at.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome to another smilin' Excal owner! :lol:

I shoot offhand for 3D and have been told that I do alright, but in a ground blind I set up with a shooting stick. I'll take every advantage I can get to minimize the chance of human error (....hence, owning an Excalibur. :lol: )
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.