Hate to admit it.....but I am a 52 year old rookie.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Michihunter

Post by Michihunter »

Welcome longwinters. Good to have another fellow Michigander on site. I'm new to all this crossbow stuff as well but the people here are awesome. Just ask away and you will get the best advice available. I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to give much advice except one thing ( tried once and got it ass backwards..) Be very careful not to dryfire that new bow. Good luck and enjoy that Excal.
sneak

Post by sneak »

Welcome aboard! I am 48 and this is my first year hunting with a crossbow. You have made a very good choice getting an Excalibur. You won't regret it. :)
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Welcome, welcome, welcome.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

longwinters wrote:B Logger, I am in the Iron Mountain area.

I shot the Exocet today....What a rush! Shot the 1st arrow at 10 yds (off hand). the bolt blew right thru my, well used, Block target. Hmmmm, better get a better target.

My buddy had a bag target so I went to that. 2nd arrow was @ 12 oclock and a couple inches high. Cool...... Went to 20 yds. Took 3 shots, off hand, and all three bolts were still a bit high but the group was tight enough that the vanes were all touching. WOW, right out of the box and that kind of accuracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am still grinning.

Put the 125 gn Muzzy practice head on and it shot very accurately but about 4" low. Adjusted the scope and went to 30 yds. Wha!!! dead nuts at 30 yds. We were taking turns shooting it and it was right on every time. But by this time we were shooting off of a rest. I don't think I could shoot nearly as accurately off hand.

So how about it. Do you guys shoot mostly off hand or do you use shooting sticks or something?

Thanks for the nice welcome and advice.

Long
You live in a good area!

I can relate to the good shooting right out of the box and it seems that most everyone gets the same thing.

Once more, congratulations.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Problem around here is LOTS of wolves. The hunting is not what it was before they were introduced to da U.P

Long
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I have to agree with you on the wolf problem. I've talked with several and there just are not the deer numbers now. They were never high in the area we hunted but now almost nothing there. A few moose though.
Keep smiling!
Dennis