what braod heads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bzz

what braod heads

Post by bzz »

not sure which ones to go with mechanical or fixed blade?
Pros and cons to each?
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

"Pros and cons each"

Many.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

I hear Gillette makes a good Blade eh!!!
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Plus the Gilette will even shave the dear for you, and wont irritate the skin.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

Never mind the broad heads...whatchya gotta do is hide up in the tree...then jump on his back & slit his throat before he bucks you off eh!
:lol:
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
wabi

Post by wabi »

Most mechanicals will group right with field points. Many have huge cutting diameters and will put a deer down quickly. But they are "mechanical", and anything with moving parts can fail to operate as designed. I have killed several deer with mechanicals, but I did have one fail to open, and I have had a few (when testing accuracy on targets) open in flight and miss the aiming point by a large distance. It seems to me that for a crossbow if they are held closed tightly enough to never open in flight (actually when they are launched) they may fail to open on the target.

Fixed blades usually have a much smaller cutting diameter than is possible with mechanicals. They also have exposed blades which act as airfoils, trying to steer the arrow off course if mis-aligned and require careful "tuning" to be certain they will always hit where aimed. In my experience the new shorter designs will fly much better from crossbows with minimal adjusting as long as they are closely aligned with the arrow shaft (determined by spin testing). Some fixed blades are replacement blade types, and some require sharpening. If you don't have much experience sharpening cutting tools (knives, etc.) they can lead to a lot of frustration during the learning process. :roll:
wabi
bzz

Post by bzz »

thanks for the info i think im just going to stick with fixed blade.as for the smart remarks from kuffs wr will tsee about your remaks at the next mud hole ehhh :evil: :evil: :evil:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout wrote:
The 64,000 dollar question is will it stay closed during launch and will it open on impact?
I'm on the opposite side of the rainbow than Bob. I feel like the mechanicals work and work extremely well. The positives are well worth the small risk of mechanical mal-function. Been using them for two years and they opened and closed as designed. I've had some issues, such as ferrules not being as strong as I'd like or a tip breaking off or not as sharpe as I'd like. . .but, every deer has died and dropped within sight. Usually within 60 yards. That's what I'm looking for in a broadhead. Anyway, the accuracy is better, the cutting is better and mal-function(knock on wood) hasn't happened. But, when you think about it . . .unless you are using one of the solid blades, even the fixed blades have pieces that COULD mal-function.

Good luck out there!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen