limbsavor on crossbows??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michiganman

limbsavor on crossbows??

Post by michiganman »

any one use the Solid Limb LimbSaver Ultra Quad ,on a excalibur ,and what is your results.do they stay on????
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Stuck them on and the 1st shot sent them to nomans land , :roll: may have put then on wrong but man did they fly :roll:
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
michiganman

tttttttt

Post by michiganman »

ttttttttttttttttttt
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Yes, got them on my exocet 200 opposite of the rubber pads of that bar type thing. Put them on figuring they might just help save the limbs in case of a dry fire. Have not noticed any noise or speed reduction and didn't expect any because of their position. They have not and will likely not fly off the limbs mounted such as they are. Also, IMHO they look cool. :)

Take care...
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

I have a pair of the solid type on my Exocet 200...I have maybe 50-60 shots with them...they are mounted on the inside of the limbs about 3 inches from the tips....

I believe they help cancel some of the vibration...I have watched the slow motion video of the crossbow being fired....that limb vibration is wicked........I don't think it changed the noise level, but I don't worry too much about the noise

I hope to install an STS sytem on my crossbow soon...I want to provisde some insurance against a dryfire
Last edited by Missouri_Hunter on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

none for me, those things eat fps big time.
"Eze 18:21"
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

Awshucks said "none for me, those things eat fps big time."
I don't think they really slow down the crossbow more than 10-12 fps...thats the great thing about the Excalibur...they start out so fast that you can give up a little speed here and there...plus I always say a very accurate slow moving arrow is better than a very fast innacurate one....

(and I'm not saying you have an inaccurate bow)... :D
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Well, I've played around w/ some of this stuff awhile back. Had a carved tip Vixen here w/ them on the limbs and they wouldn't stay on. Should one let go during a hunting shot, it will be a miss or worse yet a wounding shot.

Bill T posted some opinions on them which I'm guessing came from factory tests and his fps loss figures were quite a bit higher. I'm guessing a lot has to do w/ location on the limbs.

I never noticed much noise reduction w/ them anyhow.

I've given up 8-9 fps w/ Boo string w/ served whiskers, and several more w/ 446 gr hunting arrows.

The facts that I've come to believe in are: A Boo w/ served whiskers, STS, heavier arrows is as quiet as it's gonna get.

Those numbers gave me 328 fps w/ an Emax and about 290-295 w/ my Y-25. Sometimes it's hard to 'discuss' via keyboards and I certainly respect others choices and opinions,

I don't have any sound test equipment, just a chrony. To my way of thinking, if they cost say 15 fps, a guy could just up his arrow weight by about 75 gr and get more noise reduction, better k.e., and not have a chance of anything falling off at a bad time.

This is kind of humerous for me, as the only reason I have an STS is it was a gift. Got into the Boo strings for better serving life, got the 446 gr customs when Gt's were 430ish gr w/ brass inserts and 'old' shafts.

I'm not a noise guy, lol. You did make a good point on all the choices we have as Excal shooters, ain't it great?
"Eze 18:21"
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I've got a set on my Equinox. I figure they aren't going to really hurt anything one way or another (that I can tell), so I figured why not?

This picture you can see them on the back side of the limbs.

I put the LimbSaver pads on at the same time as I did my Boo string with served cat whiskers, so I don't know "what specifically" caused the drop in speed, but I'm shooting my hunting arrows about 10 f.p.s. slower than I was field points without the LimbSaver pads & Boo string. My hunting arrows also have a little more weight on them because of the Luminock.

So far, it looks like there's been both sides of the coin as for the arguement for/against the LimbSaver pads. Best thing you can do is get a set for yourself and try them. :wink: If you like them then great. If not, you can take them off and you really aren't out a whole lot.

Whatever you do though, put them on the side of the limbs FACING you, not away. :wink: That may keep you from launching them like someone else did. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
michiganman

limb saver

Post by michiganman »

they normally go on the inside.i have shot them for years on a compound.ive had two spooked deer jump my string.if i can deaden it up a little ,might try them out,thanks
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado