Thursday morning encounter story

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Thursday morning encounter story

Post by crazyfarmer »

Thursday morning was the perfect morning to hunt. I expected lows in the upper 40’s, which were better from the 50-60’s the days before. I woke up at 5am on the dot. Normally it takes me a few minutes of cussing and debating to get out of the bed, but for some reason I was up as soon as hitting the alarm button. I got on my gear and walked out the door in about 20mins on my way to my stand. I had decided to hunt a flat about 90yards inside a field that deer usually travel back and forth to bedding. On my way to my stand I passed a bank with the temperature displaying 41 degrees! Perfect!! Wind was iffy but enough of a west wind for me to hunt this stand. I always like hunting a stand with a wind that’s ALMOST WRONG. I always get best results that way! Deer travel into the wind after all. Walking to my stand was quite a distance. I have to walk across a soybean field about 500 yards before I get to the woods. It’s impossible to get in without spooking a few deer. I spooked 1 deer along the walk, which was good, but that deer started blowing all through the field and woods. Great!!!!! But the woods had plenty time to clam before sunrise. I finally got to my stand and climbed in. Wind was at my back, which was what I wanted for this stand. In this spot, deer travel in every direction so its really no right wind, but a West-North wind is ideal. Finally the sun started to rise and you could hear squirrels running up and down limbs. They made there way down the tree’s to the ground and then the guessing game begins to whether it’s a deer walking or not. One little squirrel decided to venture right under my ladder and actually dig at the base of the metal stand. I think he was telling me to leave. Around 7:20 I heard something in the distance walking. You could tell it was a deer. I got the bow down from the ez-hanger just to be ready. Directly downwind I caught movement and saw antlers. Its thick in that direction so I had no idea what size but I knew it was a buck. Then images of the 4 bucks I have photos of started running through my mind. Which one is it? Either would do just fine since all 4 are shooters. Slowly but surely the buck kept coming. 40 yards. 30 yards. Finally 20 yards and I could see exactly what I was dealing with. A little 1.5-year-old 6pt decided to grace me with his presence this morning. I was breathing hard and could actually hear my heart beat. You never lose that feeling. Once I saw the size, I started to calm a little. No matter the size of the deer, I still get excited. Well it wasn’t over yet. This little guy decided to walk right up 8 yards away. I’m 15ft up with Realtree APG camo which does one heck of a job bending in. Scentlok Savannah SLT pants and jacket. The wind is blowing right at him. He never knew I was there. He walked right under the stand do a acorn tree right behind me. I lowered the bow since he had his back to me and pulled out my blackberry and started to video. He was a hungry fellow since he ate about every acorn behind me for 45 mins. Finally he ventured off into the distance and I lost sight of him. No big bucks, but a great day to be out. I just wanted to share my encounter from Thursday morning. Figured it would be something to read for the guys online during the day to make them feel as if they are in the woods.
michiganman

hunting

Post by michiganman »

good story,and just shows how much effort you put in .how long in that stand before daylight came.quite a walk.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Awww, the rush of a buck! It never changes.

A lot of guys will look at a bucks rack and if it is a big one will force themselves to not look at it again instead just concentrating on the bucks body. They do this to avoid the "fever" associated with a mature buck.

I like to do just the opposite. I study that rack like I am thinking about purchasing it. The "fever" left me a long time ago. Loss of innocence thing I guess.

But one thing that has never left and never will is the rush that CF so nicely describes in his post above. That feeling is why we do this!

Thanks for sharing CF, you made my morning. I should be out in a climber somewhere but everything around me here is under water! Next four days are without rain so I may get a chance to see what is cooking. Did have a nice ten point in the back yard last night, not the same rush however as when you are in your stand with the Excalibur in hand. :D
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Sounds like a successful hunt to me!!! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Mike P wrote:Awww, the rush of a buck! It never changes.

A lot of guys will look at a bucks rack and if it is a big one will force themselves to not look at it again instead just concentrating on the bucks body. They do this to avoid the "fever" associated with a mature buck.

I like to do just the opposite. I study that rack like I am thinking about purchasing it. The "fever" left me a long time ago. Loss of innocence thing I guess.

But one thing that has never left and never will is the rush that CF so nicely describes in his post above. That feeling is why we do this!

Thanks for sharing CF, you made my morning. I should be out in a climber somewhere but everything around me here is under water! Next four days are without rain so I may get a chance to see what is cooking. Did have a nice ten point in the back yard last night, not the same rush however as when you are in your stand with the Excalibur in hand. :D
we need rain badly here! This morning was a bust since it was 80 degrees. Now the winds blowing 15mph and the temps have dropped into the low 70's but overcast and rainy. However, NO RAIN! I hope this wind dies out for late today!
michiganman

rain

Post by michiganman »

been raining here too much,and its down to 42 degrees,and will go in the upper 20<s tonight. deer are starting to know hunters are in the woods,moving latter each day.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado