liver shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

spitfire125

liver shot

Post by spitfire125 »

how far will a deer go and how long until it passes wit a liver shot?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

usualy its fast killing shot 100 yds or less
Last edited by vixenmaster on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

I have shot and recovered 2 deer shot through the liver with arrows. The first deer went 50 yards and the second went 45 yards. Some people say to wait for 30 or more minutes before tracking which is probably a good idea so you don't push the deer.

Fran
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
wabi

Post by wabi »

The only one I ever put a liver hit on was with a mechanical 1¾" cut broadhead and it cut the liver almost in half. That buck went only about 40 yards (stayed in sight the whole time) and fell on the run. No stopping and then the "rubber legs syndrome" setting in, he was running and just crashed!
I would say a smaller cut broadhead would take a little more time to put them down (just guessing), but a liver hit is deadly.
The problem is that with a hit a little too far back it could also be a gut shot. If I didn't see or hear it go down I'd give it at least a couple hours before I took up following the blood trail. :wink:
wabi
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

X2
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

the reason why im asking , the wife and i where out last night hunting out of our double stand . we have been seeing 2 does and a fawn for the last 2 weeks. Wife has never shot a deer before first year hunting.She said she did not really want to shoot anything without horns especially a fawn. Well these 3 deer have been getting on her case and i told her last night we need meat for the freezer and so she agreed. Well at 5:45pm last night they showed up again and approached us from behind. The Mrs. got in postion and waited and watched for 20 min . Finally the only deer to present a shot was the fawn at 8 yards under the stand . She took the shot and off they ran . After all that after shock and excitement. she said the deer took a step forward as she shot. I was looking around the other side of the tree and seen something dangling out the exit side of the deer. I told her i didnt think her arrow past through. After getting down ou of the stand we discovered the arrow had passed through with what appeared to have a chunck of liver on it. need less to say we didnt have much of a blood trail so we are headig back out right now to try to retrieve it . wish us luck!!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd say it probably didn't go far if I'm reading correctly. A young deer has less stamina than an older one and even a gut shot will often put them down fairly quickly.
Work the trail carefully and you should find it.
wabi
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Depends on what part of the liver that is hit. Hit the "wing" part and it takes longer to bleed out.

Wabi is right on young deer.. they die much quicker than mature deer. It should not go far.

Good luck and let us know what happened..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

Coyotes got it. Wife is bumed out, hope she will bonce back. She has lost her confidence. hope she will bounce back.
roly

Post by roly »

She should not feel bad about that at all!
It has happened to a lot of long time hunters too.

Besides the deer didn't go to waste, even if was to feed yotes!
wabi

Post by wabi »

At least you know the end result of the shot.
Not much consolation, but it didn't suffer long, and it didn't go to waste - even if it fed the scavengers instead of you.
wabi
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

it has been my experience a liver shot deer won't go far before it beds down. just don't push it for a couple of hrs and you will find it dead in its bed.
time in the woods is time well spent
bbbwb

Liver Shot

Post by bbbwb »

I feel the important point to remember with liver shot is not to push too soon. Wait the hour or 2 before tracking. I know with a firearm liver shot-- pieces of liver on snow, that I pushed too soon and put the deer out of a lay down. It took 6 hours to finally get a 2nd shot into it to put it down. It takes patience to wait but it pays off in the end.

bbbwb
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

well it looks like she wants to go back out tonight
michiganman

liver hit

Post by michiganman »

the liver hit can take up to 8 hrs.if its a good buck,wait minimum 3 hours and sometimes we wait till next day.nephew shot a real nice 8 through liver ,1 lung and he didnt bed down for 300 yards.we didnt finally find that buck for 3 days,and was found by tree cutters,who had bonned and cut the horns off it.we have went in after 3 hours and jumped them.also my brother shot a 8 pointer that we jumped the next day,and got with a liver hit with a 2" head
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado