1st day out with new xbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vocajac

1st day out with new xbow

Post by vocajac »

Hello all, i gotta admit my wife might be right again .she thinks I'm nuts !
i already have three bows a Matthews ,high country, darton what do i need a xbow for.
Been looking at crossbows for awhile finally decided excal was the one i wanted,
not sure what model . thumb hole vortex or standard stock phoenix ,175 lb ,200 lb
well anyway went to local shop was trying to decide and he tells me he has some last year models.
oh man! more decisions he brings out a 2008 150lb. brown vixen what a sweet little xbow and price was right.
bought 6 bolts , rope cocker , string aid , 1 lighted nock and was on my way . shooting this xbow was nice fiber optics worked fine.
gonna have things for my Christmas list though (scope), cuz they say i'm hard to buy for, huh can't figure that out.
shot it for a week and i had to go north to cabin and winterize it. (So this might be why she thinks i'm nuts) .
there's another bow shop i pass on the way up and you know i gotta stop and just look around. So i go to look at xbows,
they got a phoenix with a lumizone scope and lite stuff package 590 bucks man i think this is a nice deal , i can't pass up.
so i buy it and she says I'm hard to buy for i think i'm easy . Shot it for a few days WOW that scope is sweet!
Now I'm a proud owner of 2 xbows 1 for fun and one for hunting.

i like shooting thunderheads but my buddy gave me this rage practice tip and one rage three bladed broadhead 100 gr.
them things fly sweet never was real fond of mechanicals but I'll give it a whirl, always had better luck with a fixed blade for pass through.

Went hunting last Saturday for the first time this season , i usually don't start hunting till 3rd week of season because there is a lot of pressure by other hunters in the area
and it really messes up the deer , so i let it settle a bit then hit the woods. took out the new phoenix , hunted my morning spot that was a blank ,did not see a deer.
sat. night was different the wind was right for hunting a stand that i put up last year and never hunted, kinda close to a bedding area and wind has to be right
the bucks are breaking up and starting to troll with love on there mind. but the does are not ready yet , getting closer.
At 6:45p.m. a buck showed to enter the bedding area he was walking at 18yds broadside,
squeaked my lips kinda like a kiss goodbye. i was reading other posts on how people stop a deer .
He stopped i flipped the switch the lit nock sailed through the air and connected in the boiler room .
but wait i can still see the nock and vanes as the buck ran away thats not a pass through , darn mechanical broadheads, the arrow fell out about 20 yds latter.
well i knew it was a good hit just gonna be a little harder tracking i never heard him crash , but i know he's not going far, but he was getting out fast.
i went to get the bolt there's exactly half of it huh , went back to where buck was standing when i hit him, the other half with open blades cool at least it opened huh.
but how the heck did this happen, stuck the nock end in the ground where it fell out for my starting point for tracking in the dark. (that was easy to see)
walked up to the house mumbling to myself (the dreaded second guessing), had to get a knife and lantern and the 4-wheeler.
Waited for a little over an hour , made 3- 4 phone calls , me and a buddy the one that give me the broadhead went out to track it.
there was blood on both sides of the weeds and trees ,(easier tracking then i thought) tracked him for about 80yds .
found where he stopped and started to stumble good pool of blood now ,not much farther! 10 more yards there he was, flipped him over it was a pass through.
hole was impressive ,the arrow broke (maybe hit rib) and only half went through him huh. I'll never know but a successful hunt anyways.
this is my first post so i hope not to long winded . just wanted to let you in on my hunt. thanks for all the tips and thanks excal for a sweet xbow.
now that i posted something i will put my 2 cents in on other posts.all my question were answered by searching older posts so had nothing to say , till now.
[img][img]http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss23 ... C00006.jpg[/img][/img]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

congrats on yer nice Buck, i love Excal CB's!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Nice buck.... and one cool profile pic
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats on your buck!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Nice. You didn't happen to get that 2nd bow at Jays did you? I sometimes go south of the bridge and always stop in Gaylord. So I was just wondering.

Oh, congrats on your buck.

Long
Arkbow

2 crossbows

Post by Arkbow »

Congrats on the buck; now you will find that you no longer need your compounds; got rid of ALL my other bows and now only hunt with my excals; once again congrats
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That looks like a BIG buck. Congrats!

Welcome to the forum!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations! Beautie buck!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Congrats! Thanks for taking the time to share. I too have a poop brown Vixen and it's a treat. Actually, I've never had one that wasn't. They all seem to have their own personalities or traits, don't they?
"Eze 18:21"
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

Congrats on your first buck with your new Excal. I shot a buck with my Vortex 10/16 and the 2 blade Rage and it did a great job.He did not travel more than 60 yards.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Congradulations on a fine looking buck. Congrads on 2 fine xbows. Now you have one to lend out. hehehe my son, father and brother share my spare xbow. Accually I use the spare wolverine and lend out my new one hehehe
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nice shot Mich man.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

What a way to Introduce Yourself, Congratulations on a Nice looking Buck and Welcome too the Family :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
vocajac

Post by vocajac »

been away from the puter for a few days , bambiblaster that's my hunting and fishing partner heading up to the cabin a few years ago we were going steelhead fishing , longwinters not jay's but frank's a little farther south east around Standish area . i stopped again a couple days later and they up the price 50 bucks and stuck a red dot on it! wheelie actually I'm thinking about lending it to a buddy that's heading down to Ohio but i have a couple questions to ask Ohio members , I'll post a new topic on that. thanks again all :D