Patience.. small buck after small buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Patience.. small buck after small buck

Post by crazyfarmer »

I hit up the woods this afternoon in one of my favorite Late Oct spots. As soon as I got into the stand I saw antlers coming. A little 2.5 year old 7 pt walks right under the stand and keeps on going. Never knew I was there even with the wind in his face. Signs the pre rut is about to kick off. I broke out the rattle bag and rattled for 20 seconds and heard movement down the bottom. I thought, this would be the one. Nope, little 4pt comes in to check things out. He noses around for a few and heads on up the bottom. I waited 30mins and hit the rattle bag again. Looked behind me and saw 3pts on one side coming across the bottom. Now here comes a shooter. Nope, Im not that lucky. He was only 12inches wide but a nice 1.5 year old 8pt. They are responding to light rattling here well. Just nothing big enough to shoot.

Now the game begins.. what stand to hunt.. what time... what to use to call with... etc etc... sleepness nights thinking about the day or if the bigboy will walk by begins since prime time is about upon us 8)
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I rattled one in last night. In the end, 7 bucks showed up but all were little ones. I didn't rattle tonight but did get to watch a pair of 8 pointers sparring. That is always enjoyable to watch. Trouble was they were about 80 yards out.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Yep...wait out the little ones and the big one will eventually come along.

The big boys are about to get stupid with other things on their minds folks...just about time to sit all day.
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

Hey Crazy that 8 pointer a posted Saturday before last was tending a scrape when I let the arrow fly. I'd say the rut here in VA is go for sure by this weekend.
[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/vapredhunter/Hunting/yoterun.gif[/img]
gogo

Post by gogo »

patience is the name of the game. Little deer are in good supply compaired to big ones. So it makes sense to have to wait for the big ones. Same story hang in there and good luck.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Ship me one of your Little ones, I have not seen a Buck in a Month :(
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
huntone

Post by huntone »

:D I also noticed yesterday that the little ones are acting like they really have something. They were coming out, spike and a little 6pt., and strutting around. The does were constantly looking back and acting nervous. :lol:
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The bucks are really cruising here in southwestern Ohio.

I think Bill and Kath picked a great time to get down here and hunt. The weather will be a little warm with days in the mid sixties but I don't think it is going to affect anything adversely.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Your luck is about to change CF. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen