Always keep your light on when walking in

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Always keep your light on when walking in

Post by crazyfarmer »

I had a close encounter of the skunk kind yesterday morning. I normally dont turn my light on untill im in the woods heading to my stand. So I was walking down the edge of a bean field in the dark and noticed something odd about 10 yards in front of me. I could see a shadow thats usually not there. I turned my light on and guess what. Im having a face off with a huge skunk. A frisky skunk at that. He starts pouncing the ground with this front feet. I take a step back and then he turns and has his tail straight up. Im thinking, GREATTTTTTTT. I think im out of his range so its all good. Then he turns and starts the pouncing thing again. At this point im laughing and wondering how long this is going to last because I need to get to my stand. Well he finally turns and heads off. He didnt unload afterall :P Im just glad I stopped when I did. Could have had a different outcome. But talk about a good cover scent :P

For some reason, I cant smell skunks either so it wouldnt have mattered if he had sprayed :P The wife might not like it when I got home though :D
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Cover scent...............

Long
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

No one wants that much cover scent.

My father-in-law told me a story about a Polish fellow that used to do some work around the family farm during the harvest season. Apparently, there are no skunks in Poland and one day, the gentleman spotted one and wanted to investigate what it was. Well, before he could be warned, the skunk didn't take too kindly to his curiousity and hit him point blank with a waft from his glands. My father-in-law says it's the only time he has ever seen anyone actually turn green...and apparently the poor guy passed out for a good three minutes.

I have had close encounters with them while walking in during the morning, but luckily they have always just been wandering the other way after hearing me coming.

I remember when I was 12 years old or so that Animal Control had to come out to my neighbourhood in Burlington, Ontario due to a rather aggressive skunk in the area that was lifting its rear at everything that moved (cars, people, pets, etc.) The Animal Control officer at that time actually shot it at a distance with a rifle from our neighbour's yard. Try getting away with that now.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

anything to smell better Crazy.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
michiganman

camping

Post by michiganman »

years ago my brother had one come in his tent in the back woods,was looking eye to eye at him/her
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

been there done that only we were about 3ft apart. another thing that will stop your heart is to have a flock of turkeys take flight out of their roost over your head when it is pitch black out.
time in the woods is time well spent
michiganman

dark

Post by michiganman »

brother thought all deer had wandered off,and climbed down in pich black dark.bent over to untie his bow,and had a deer blow at 10ft.said all he could do was pee his breitches.

i climbed down in the dark,and had bent over a small tree,and when i bumped it in the dark,it sprung up and hit me in the face,i thought it was the owl i had just seen.change of shorts was needed.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

my brother and I flushed a covey of quail about an hour before daylight this past spring walking in to turkey hunt... that got the old heart rate up too!
thanks philip
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

Hey Crazy
When you get to that position, just reach down and grab the tail and hold him at arms length. He can`t spray if he can`t get his feet on somthing solid. HA - HA now what to do. If you can whack them on the back of the head hard enough to break the neck they will not spray.
Might even tell the story!
Here`s to a little blood on the floor.
mark 10 :13
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

That is not the way I would want to start my Day!!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I almost stepped on a possom in a spring wheat field!!:lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
bbbwb

Light on while walking

Post by bbbwb »

Having dealt with many nuisance skunk calls over the years, I am always intrigued by this animal. I have never been sprayed and have box trapped many. They are a very interesting creature, very intelligent and very easy to manipulate. I have always maintained that most skunks have forgotten more than most people know. When encountered remain calm, slow moving and soft talking. They will respond in similar fashion with no incident. When they are first seen, speak softly and get their attention.Then proceed to talk softly and they will meander off. You have demonstrated that you are no threat to them and they will proceed with their business, going their own way.
This approach has worked for over 30 years so don't disbelieve it.

bbbwb
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Thanks for the tip I think I have one living under my porch!
The best things in life are not things!!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I've bumped skunks walking in and out in Indiana ... same scene as yours.

When they're doing that dance, they're agitated. It's a time to stay STILL. Once they see you're no threat, they'll mosey on down the pike.

One of the experiences of the great outdoors!

BTW ... we don't have skunks (or groundhogs) here. The soil won't support burrowing.
Grizz
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

:D Thanks for the post Crazy Farmer! Skunks are my BIGGEST concern when I am walking in the pre-dawn. I don't know how many times I've come close to stepping one one. I've been lucky so far, but I'll be sure to remember the tips found in this thread.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount