thinking of buying a recurve...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

thinking of buying a recurve...

Post by ch312 »

sure its a crossbow forum, but this is the only archery forum i visit... :D

i am considering buying a recurve bow to hunt small game while i am out scouting for deer/turkey or have free time on a sunday (no sunday gun hunting here yet). it is easy to hit them with the exomax, but its simply too powerful and makes it too easy to lose bolts.

what kind of bow should i be looking for? any info about them including pros/cons would be appreciated. im assuming they shoot standard length arrows? id like to use carbon...
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

There are lots of great recurves out there. I have had Black Widow and Marriah Thermal. Both fantastic bows.

Long
cousneddy

Post by cousneddy »

I have a older Bear Grizzley, 45#. It was cheap and shoots good. I hope to take a deer with it when i get good enough to hunt with it. Check out tradgang.com, they are a great group of guys to help you get started. They also have a classified section where you might can find a small game bow cheap.
bdog

recurves

Post by bdog »

Check out tradgang.com or stickbow or the Black Widow web site they have all the info you will need, arrow lenght depends on your draw lenght,I would start with something 40 lbs or less in draw weight,
Big D

Post by Big D »

I own around 8 recurves. My favorite being my custom ancient spirits second being my hoyt gamemaster 2 and 3rd being my bear grizzley. All you need is 40-45lb. recurve the lighter the better.And your shooting form and tech. will be much better with a lighter bow I learned the hard way shooting a 601b longbow , when I started a big mistake. Also these bows are great for my favorite summer sport, bowfishing for redhorse suckers and carb. The pse kingfisher is ok ; however, if you are willing to spend a little extra money you won't be disappointed with the hoyt gamemaster 2 and it has the stablizer hole for the fishing spool. The hand reel spools and arrows packages are only 25.00 or so. This is a ton of fun in the hot offseason. I am pretty strong with the weights and former state powerlifting champion no matter how strong you think you are go light with a recurve trust me. If you start with a heavy recurve it will cause you a ton of problems and possibly target panic which I can say is not fun when shooting instinctive with a traditional bow.

Good luck Big D
wabi

Post by wabi »

You might want to look at Chek·Mate bows if you want a custom bow at a very reasonable price.
(They are made in Canada and there is an online dealer in Canada I have bought from and got great service - Chek Mate bows link )
I have a Falcon and a Thunderbird and both are great bows.
wabi
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Isn't there also a real nice recurve made by Caribow or cariboo (or something like that) in Canada. Some years back I saw one and it was a very nice curve.

Long
Last edited by longwinters on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BUS314

!!

Post by BUS314 »

bstout wrote:My advice is to purchase an inexpensive recurve first.

Then get really good at shooting it before dropping a chunk of change on a *good* one.
That's the ticket.
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Just my opinion but it might be easier to shoot a compound bow first. Has sights and learn to shoot it correctly and get good form and sight lines then go to a recurve. You can pick up cheap compounds if you look around. go 50 to 60 pounds or so to start. Just an idea for you, definatly not telling you what to do, just might save some frustration if you never shot a bow before. If you shoot a compound already disrequard this post. Good luck in your search. They are nice expecally cause of the weight factor of carrying it around in the bush. Seen wooden arrows for recurves for under a dollar each at sporting good stores.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I agree with {bstout} Good Luck on your decision.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
blackjack

Re: thinking of buying a recurve...

Post by blackjack »

ch312 wrote:sure its a crossbow forum, but this is the only archery forum i visit... :D

i am considering buying a recurve bow to hunt small game while i am out scouting for deer/turkey or have free time on a sunday (no sunday gun hunting here yet). it is easy to hit them with the exomax, but its simply too powerful and makes it too easy to lose bolts.

what kind of bow should i be looking for? any info about them including pros/cons would be appreciated. im assuming they shoot standard length arrows? id like to use carbon...
g'day, just thought l'd put in my two bobs worth as well for what its worth. l agree with wheelie l own as well as my excalibur's xbows a Mathews switchback xt compound bow & love it, they just look like they can do the job real tough looking bows & easy for a beginner...best regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
ch312

Post by ch312 »

thanks for the great info so far guys...

i have a little bit of experience with both compound and recurve bows and planned on using a compound until i messed up my shoulder. i used an old barnett thunderbolt for a couple years and then an exomax for a few years. the shoulder is fine now so its time to waste some more money on hunting :lol:

in high school archery it was very apparent that i was a natural with the recurve. it just came to me very quickly and just felt like id been shooting for years. i figured i already have a bow for deer hunting so id get a recurve for small game.

im almost ashamed to say it, but the thought of selling the excalibur to buy a quality compound crossed my mind... :shock:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

ch312 wrote:thanks for the great info so far guys...

in high school archery it was very apparent that i was a natural with the recurve. it just came to me very quickly and just felt like id been shooting for years. i figured i already have a bow for deer hunting so id get a recurve for small game.

im almost ashamed to say it, but the thought of selling the excalibur to buy a quality compound crossed my mind... :shock:
I am the same way, things just seem to go where I point them, but I would never get rid of my crossbow, all the fundamentals of stick and string go out the window when you are bundled up for a Canadian winter.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

yep I agree about tradgang.con, great place. join and post in the classifieds about what your wanting and someone will have it. I'd suggest for small game a bow of 40-45#s would be a good start
time in the woods is time well spent
wabi

Post by wabi »

Have to add my experiences about dealing on TradGang.
I have been on many forums over the years and have done several deals (buy-sell-trade) on many of them.
The Only one I have ever had any problems with was TradGang and in 3 transactions I got burned on 2 of them. Had to actually have my attorney go after one guy to get my money back!!!!!!!!!!!!
The other deal was for some "new" arrows that turned out to be in worse shape than those in my junk pile.
I also got censored for pointing out the guy was a thief! The moderators removed the thread and threatened to boot me for saying it, so I haven't been back there since.
wabi