question?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rick

question?

Post by Rick »

Will deer keep using trails that a dead deer has been lying on for a couple of day?
You help is appreciated....

Rick
Have a good hunt!

Rick
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Tough call, the deer will go where they feel safe, I don't think a deer associates the smell of death with danger. That smell will bring in predators though and that will disrupt a pattern.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Pydpiper wrote: That smell will bring in predators though and that will disrupt a pattern.
That Piper guy gets smarter every day!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I had a relation of mine sit a gun stand where a proven trail was. He shot a nice doe and gutted it out right on that trail. Next year that trail was there no more. Maybe a one time thing? I'll never do something like that.
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I have had many times where I shot a deer, gutted it out, and other deer walked right by the gut pile and never skipped a beat. I had one time where I shot a deer in the morning and dragged it up by my pop up ,gutted it, and let it lay there for the rest of the day as I did not want to quit hunting (yes it was very cold out).

Had other deer come right through and did not even look.

Long
bbbwb

Qestion

Post by bbbwb »

2x Piper

bbbwb
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Last year where I gutted my buck, I went back the next day as I had lost my knives & not 10 feet away from the gut pile was a fresh scrap that was not there before :shock:

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
ninepointer

Re: question?

Post by ninepointer »

Rick wrote:Will deer keep using trails that a dead deer has been lying on for a couple of day?
You help is appreciated....

Rick
If otherwise the spot has good potential to be productive, I would not worry about the dead deer. Any disruption of patterns can likely be measured in days, not weeks.

As a general rule, after I kill a deer I drag it to a "safe" spot for field dressing, away from where I do my shooting. Again, I'm only worried about the short-term impact on deer behaviour.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Like others have mentioned....The Buck I shot this year was about 5 yards from the gut pile of the doe my neighbour shot the night before.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Id say yes the deer will use the same trails!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
Rick

Post by Rick »

Thanks guys.
I hunt a real nice spot for the last 9 years and have gotten a nice size deer a year out.
However I climb into my stand last Sunday evening and there was a button buck lying about 20 yards in the bush and on the main trail.
It was a gut shot from a arrow and whom ever did it didn't track enough to find it.
Wasn't sure if I should remove it or leave it there.
I will check it this week and remove it still there and hopefully carry on hunting.
There has been no movement there for the past 2 weeks which really concerned me.

Thanks for your input and happy hunting!!!
Have a good hunt!

Rick
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Just to add to the confusion, a couple years ago we shot 3 bucks; all at or very close to the place where the first one was shot. They had paid no attention to the previous activity.

Last year I shot a buck and about 2 hours later another buck came on the same runway. He stopped dead in his tracks when he got to where the other buck dropped. Smelled a bit and then walked on. But did he stop to smell the other deer, the blood or the human smell? Not sure how you could determine that.
Keep smiling!
Dennis