Thinking about next years broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longwinters

Thinking about next years broadhead

Post by longwinters »

This year, my 1st with xbow, I used the old style 125 Muzzy heads. Thought with the speed of my Exocet maybe I would try expandibles next year.

I don't want to mess with o'rings etc...and the Innerloc 3 blade caught my eye.

I see previously there has been little comment on them.

Any thoughts or experience with them.

Long
barnett

Post by barnett »

Expandables all the way. I use the NAP expands with the rubber O rings and no problems here as a matter of fact i think expands help my bolts fly true'er. I dont use an excal :cry: xbow but use a Barnett and i always get pass threws and recovery is very quick. I use to use 3 blade or 4 blade but not no more. Theres only one way to find out and thats try them. I bet you'd like them.
Philzleads

Post by Philzleads »

I could not get a group with the 3-blade 125gr Muzzy's on my Vortex with brand new CF Bolts. I have a few that are good with the 150gr Boltcutters.

Next year or maybe later this season, post gun season I will try a Rage or other mechanical with a low flying profile.

Four Brand New Easton CF Bolts w/Muzzy 125s at 30 Yds... :( [/b]

The three holes in the target, center circle and left circle are with the previous shots with Field points of same weight. Switch to Bheads and this is what I get...: (
Vortex
Boo String
Groundpounder
xbhntr

broadheads

Post by xbhntr »

Took the Wasp cam-locs off my 2117 aluminum bolts. Installed Rage Slip Cam 3 blades. From my ladder stand, I shot at a 20 yard spot with the practise broadhead that is included. This practise arrow flys better than my previous bolts. I hope the new ones will do the job on a deer better than the Wasps. ( 6 wasps for sale , cheap ). Ray
Grizzly Adam

Re: broadheads

Post by Grizzly Adam »

xbhntr wrote: I hope the new ones will do the job on a deer better than the Wasps. ( 6 wasps for sale , cheap ). Ray
Every deer I've stung with a Wasp expired post-haste ... within 40 yards!

Just goes to show: whatever the product, your mileage may vary! :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Try mechanical if you must, Slick Tricks work so well for me that every time I try something different I come back to em. Found that low profile, 4-bladed, fixed heads, on a high FOC arrow with small vanes flies best.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

My next yrs BH's will be the same 3 i use now. Slick Trick-Montec G5-Snuffer 125
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DARTONATOR

Post by DARTONATOR »

I think it all depends on what type of hunting you plan on doing. Last year I made a marginal shot on a beautiful buck and had to hunt him down in the following morning. I chose fixed blades ! If you are going to take any shots through any type of foilage use fixed blades only. Mechanicals will depoy if they hit the tiniest twigs thus sending them into a spiral. I do not profess to taking any shots through any type of cover unless it is absolutly necessary and you have to expire an amimal !
Tom

Post by Tom »

DARTONATOR wrote:.................. If you are going to take any shots through any type of foilage use fixed blades only. Mechanicals will depoy if they hit the tiniest twigs thus sending them into a spiral. I do not profess to taking any shots through any type of cover unless it is absolutly necessary and you have to expire an amimal !
Do not class all mechanicals in one group. Not all mechanical heads will deploy if they hit the "tiniest twigs". I shoot the NAP Spitfire and have test shot them through netting of a blind and they did not open. I am not discouraging your choice or saying that one head is better then the other (mechanical/fixed) but they both have their place in hunting. Remember that mechanical heads require maintenance to keep them hunt ready and you should never hunt with a once fired head, always use new. The animal you are hunting does desirve this respect.

I am not proposing to make shots through foliage on purpose, but sometimes it happens when you can't see some of the small stuff out at a distance.

Now about deflections when shooting through foliage. Generally the mechanical head has a smaller dia profile which means that it will generally get through an area easier without hitting or deflecting. The larger dia fixed head will have a tougher time just because of the nature of size. Smaller will always fit better in a small opening then larger. Plus when a blade from a fixed head strikes something even small, it will deflect and wobble. Any deflection or wobble is not wanted as it will most likely cause a missed animal or worse yet, a bad hit (mechanical or fixed).

If you want a fixed or mechanical head, choose a quality head and then have fun. I personally like and shoot the spitfire (which has the retainer clips). But remember that with mechanicals, you need to make sure the retaining method for the blades stays in great shape.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I have harvested deer with fixed blade but since I switched to NAP Spitfires I will never shoot a fixed blade at a deer again. The new Spitfires are the sharpest broadhead I have ever seen out-of-the-box. I always replaced the blades after shooting them once. Don't buy the ones that are in the yellow package, these are the old type and the blades are not as sharp. I have taken 14 deer with the old type and had pass-thru on all but one. It hit the shoulder bone on the off side with a quartering away shot. The new ones come in a blister pack with the broadheads positioned at 12, 4, and 8 O'clock. The old ones are in a straight line. The Spitfire Broadhead will always fly the same as the Spitfire practice blades when shot on same arrow.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
michiganman

mechanicle head

Post by michiganman »

this fall we have shot 6 deer with the Rocket sidewinder.i also shot a turkey with that head.i tested the rocket steelhead,the rocket sidewinder,and rocket stricknine out.all flew within 1.5 inch circle at 40 yards with my exocet.

i did test out the new nap spitfire max,and it also flew great,and they also make the new bloodrunner head,that flew great too.you have some good heads to choose from.

i did catch a twig with the spitfire max,and threw it way off course at 335fps.was about 3/8" thick,i shot it right off,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Nothing but slicktricks will see my exomax!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
Sopchoppy

Broadheads

Post by Sopchoppy »

After using the Wasp's that came in the old Right Stuff Pkg., I have switched to Slick Tricks. I had a couple of long recoveries with the Wasp and have had none make it over 50 yds. with the Slick Tricks. It may be my imagination but I feel the Slick Tricks make a bigger wound channel with the same cutting diameter as the Wasp.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone