Tree Stand Placement

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hazmat

Tree Stand Placement

Post by Hazmat »

Hello everybody,

I am looking for advice on placement of tree stands ?
I have 2 ladder stands and one hanger that I use with a 20 ft aluminum ladder. I am hunting 2 farms just outside of Guelph, Ontario that border a marsh/cedar swamp area. I have moved them around the edge of fields and or the edge of the swamp through out the 2009 Season with my only success this year a doe harvested December 20, 2009.
Any pointers or advice for locating tree stands for 2010 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
Big John

Re: Tree Stand Placement

Post by Big John »

Well. I'd personally set up right in the middle of the swamp. :wink:
You would be amazed at what goes on in there that no-one see's!!
My Buddy took a huge 8 pointer this season from a swamp that no-one goes to, it's horrible to hunt there, but man what a huge Buck!!!!! Took us 6 hours to get it out with a cart and then canoe. :evil:
Being scored right now, probably around 170".
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Take a walk around the property when there is snow on the ground and see where the deer trails are. Find a place where two or three trails cross and then look for a good tree within 30 yards of the intersection and place a stand there. Good luck.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You need to figure out the bedding and feeding areas and set up an ambush in between the two,of course the wind has to be allowed for with different stand locations.
There could be any number of good locations depending on the topography or not very many for that matter.
Rubs,scraps,runways,droppings,tracks are all good indicators of deer activity but you have to make your best educated guess as to exact stand placement and adjust as you gain more familiarity with the property some times moving 20 yards can make the difference with archery tackle.
Also there never seems to be a good tree where you need it .
Good luck .
Jerry
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

its hard to say.. just depends on how the land is. Hills or flat? you just have to locate the funnels the deer travel
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I hunted swamps in Ms. fer many a yr. Look fer hammocks in the swamp (dry humps) Bucks will walk, wade or swim to them. Cause they feel safe there. Trails as the others have said look fer 2 or 3 to connect between bedding & feeding areas set-up there. If'en yer seeing deer tracks then you knowed where they're coming to & from get'em!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum,

I agree with bstout, you seem to be doing just fine.

The only advice I can give is , I never set a stand right on a trail, try to move off the trail a ways but still allowing a shot to the trail.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

Hazmat wrote:Hello everybody,

I am looking for advice on placement of tree stands ?
I have 2 ladder stands and one hanger that I use with a 20 ft aluminum ladder. I am hunting 2 farms just outside of Guelph, Ontario that border a marsh/cedar swamp area. I have moved them around the edge of fields and or the edge of the swamp through out the 2009 Season with my only success this year a doe harvested December 20, 2009.
Any pointers or advice for locating tree stands for 2010 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:shock: You need me to hunt with you and to help place your stands!
:lol: :lol: All the advice above is good! Brampton Mike :mrgreen:
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

just to place a stand in the middle of a swamp because it is a swamp is just as wrong as placin a stand on a fence row or crop field edge because they are fence rows or field edges. placing stands to find deer is backwards. find deer and then look at stand placement. no one can tell you where to place your stand unless they have been out in your hunting area with you scoutin it.
you can put your stand out in a swamp but if the deer aint using the swamp it will just be you sittin in a swamp. :D
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Welcome to the forum :D !

All good advice you're getting. Each property is different, so its up to you to familiarize yourself with the geography, physical features and deer sign, putting that together with you own observations of deer movements, all with the intent of maximizing your odds. Sounds like you are in farm country, so keep in mind that deer habits may vary from season to season depending on crop rotations. For example, this past season my favourite stand location was a dud because the nearby feeding field had been planted in wheat, harvested in late summer then plowed under, leaving nothing to attract deer.

One thing I have found is that despite the best laid plans, deer have no respect whatsoever for a hunter's playbook :lol: . For as many times as I've had deer come walking along a trail and into a shooting lane exactly like they're supposed to, I've had more deer pop out in the darndest places :roll: .
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
gogo

Post by gogo »

Everyone gave good advise, see if there is a ridge or high ground in the swamp if there is that could be a honey hole. Deer will travel that ridge or high ground keep a good eye on it. If the land has food that deer will feed on, after the harvest a ground blind in the field may prove to be the ticket. Hope that helps.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

All good advice the snow will tell you where the runways are and like John said the swamp bucks are brutes :D by the way WELCOME!!
The best things in life are not things!!