Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

Re: Warm boots?

Post by saxman »

roly wrote:My feet get cold just thinking about going out any more

I have spent a small fortune on boots

The only boots that work for me are Lacrosse Ice Kings

Not real good for walking but keep my feet very warm.

If you suffer from cold feet, worth a try. JMO.
Roly
I had a pair of ice kings when I worked in Millwaukee
You are correct,they are warm and not meant for walking much.
Imagine them in a size 15
HUGE :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

The warmest boots I own are Sorel Icefishers. Again not the best for long hikes but very warm. The most supprisingly warm boots I own are a pair of plain rubber boots that are 2 sizes too large. I got them very cheap at a going out of business sale. I wear two pairs of wool socks with them and I am quite comfortable down to 5 or so degrees below freezing. Below that if I am going to be out for more than a couple of hours I use the Icefishers. TC
Tom

Post by Tom »

BUS314 wrote:http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... G%26um%3D1

I've used these ever since my feet nerves wen south on me---not for walking, lol, but very warm on stand , just slip em on over whatever ya wear.

The trouble with cold feet and trying to keep or get them warm while hunting is a large problem. Most of the trouble is from the need to walk a distance to where you hunt. If you have boots that are built for warmth, then your feet will sweat. Even if they sweat just a little, then your feet will get cold after sitting for a while. If you wear boots that are made for walking, which breath and your feet do not sweat, then you feet will become cold just because of the fact that they are not meant for extreme cold. But I do prefer dry feet over extra warmth.

Many years ago I bought a pair of BOOT BLANKETS from Cabellas. I loved them. I no longer needed the extra warm cold temp boots, one pair will now do all weather. My light, regular hunting boot (600 grams) and the boot blanket (1000 grams) keep my dry feet nice and warm. I did try on two different styles (zippered in front & in back). I found that the zippered in back felt most comfortable and were easier in and out of. They are not to tried to walk in. You will have very little traction on snow or wet leaves (like walking on wet ice) but they are easy out of and light to carry.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

I have a set of the Arctic Shield boot blankets & they work excellent, but have found that you need to put them on BEFORE your feet get cold :oops:

I usually find I cannot manage to sit long enough (3 to 4 hours) for my feet to get cold.

I have mostly used them for my all day sits in the pop-up blind which I will do a few times during the season.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

VixChix wrote:I was out yesterday for a bit too - until the end of legal light. My hands and upper body got cold, but my feet were pretty good. I'd layered a pair of good wool socks over a regular pair of polyester/acrylic (or something like that) blend socks for moisture wicking. I wore regular medium weight fall/winter boots and was fine. My "magic ingredient" is a special pair of insoles....

http://www.polarwrap.com/default.aspx?p ... d=37&show=

Since I've put these insoles in my boots I've been MUCH more comfortable in the cold. They really do work as advertised.
Thanks Vix! I was out today and only used my boots, wool socks and your magic ingredient. When I got in the woods it was 22 degrees F. I stayed for about two and a half hours. I was pleasantly surprised. These insoles helped a lot. My toes were starting to feel the cold, but, they were nowhere near the bitterness I would have experienced without the insoles. I was still comfortable. Well worth the $$. I only wish they attracted deer. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

sumner4991 wrote: I was still comfortable. Well worth the $$. I only wish they attracted deer. :D
Am glad they worked well for you too.

If they attracted deer we'd need to buy another freezer. :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I use the boot blankets with goose down booties and a hand warmer under my arches and it keeps me very warm.I wher the muck boots to get out there and switch to the blanket/bootie on stand.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
maple

Post by maple »

Sorels or Kammicks, get some winter boots. Was out ice fishing last weekend -20' C and forgot my warm socks!!!! 14 hours on the ice and no problem.

Maple
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

Vix Chix. Where do you buy Polar Wrap in Ontario Canada ? thanks Ray.
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

Shoppers Drug Mart used to sell them, but I haven't seen them this year here in Northern Ontario. So
I just ordered more from Polar Wrap direct. See the link that Vix posted. They now come in an extra cushioned model
along with the regular original. They have worked well for me.
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I haven't seen them anywhere here this past winter. :( Shoppers Drug Mart and Zellers had them in the past. You'd think there would be a larger demand for them up here. I hope they'll be around again in future winters!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
gridironcoach

Post by gridironcoach »

Try a pair of Ugg's I have a pair of men's that are super warm. If I wear wool socks with them, they're all I need.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I have a pair of Lacrosse Burly ATS with 1200gm thinsulate. Once the mercury drops below zero I find my feet (mostly toes) get cold after a couple hours while on stand. Walking about no problem.

So for colder days, late season, I wear my winter work boots. Dakotas from Marks Work Warehouse. Supposed to be good for -100. My toes will still get cold in them. It takes longer than the Lacrosse boots though. A toe warmer in each boot is all it takes and I'm good for hours.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I think the insoles improve about any boot when it comes to warmth. I got them in all my "winter shoes" now. Thanks to the recent cold snap, they have gotten a good trial. There is no insulating materials in the soles of my boots . . .just rubber and the foam insole made more for comfort than warmth. I am pleasantly surprised at the difference.

The only downside . . .they make my boot about an half size smaller even after removing the orginial insole. This is no problem in my boots, but, I have one pair of hikers that are a little tight once I switched out the insoles. So, I'm going to take the insole with me to try on my next pair of hikers.

I'm also hoping they will keep the heat out of my tennis shoes in the Summer. Those tennis courts can be extremey hot down here in the Summer. Not to mention the asphalt. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen