TARGETS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wvjason

TARGETS

Post by wvjason »

I JUST BOUGHT A NEW EQUINOX AND I SHOT IT IN A REGULAR"CUBE" TARGET AND IT BURIED UP IN IT BADLY. I WONDERED WHAT BRAND OF CROSSBOW TARGET WOULD BE BEST FOR BOTH BROADHEADS AND FIELD POINTS? ALSO, WHEN I PULLED THE BOLT OUT THE POINT AND INSERT STAYED IN THE TARGET IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM?
one shot scott

Re: TARGETS

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum wvjason. I use the rineheart 18-1 target for broadheads, and a burlap sack stuffed with old clothing for feidltips.

I have had insert problems as well, and since I started to glue them with an expanding glue like gorilla or sumo glue I have yet to have an insert pull out.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Bag targets work best fer field pts. Rhinehart 18-1 fer BH. Spyderweb has great targets fer field pts if you have the spare funds.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

Rinehart has a new block style target on there site that looks real good :D
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
Big John

Post by Big John »

I've told many a person that story Bob. :wink:
Some targets out there aren't worth their weight in dirt. :twisted:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
wvjason

Post by wvjason »

OK I FORGOT TO MENTION I WAS USING THE FIREBOLTS SO NOW I NEED INSERTS WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO ORDER SPARE INSERTS FOR THE EXCAL FIREBOLTS? OH YEAH THANKS FOR THE WELCOME GUYS.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

bstout wrote:I've gone through many targets over the years. I own three different makes at this time. The Block 4X4 is my favorite but I like the other two also. They each have their own attributes/purpose.

I don't care for targets that require arrow lube.

One particular 3D target is known for warping carbon arrows if arrow lube isn't used. The material is too hard and the friction caused by the material can generate enough heat to warp the arrow before it stops it completely.

So the lube performs two functions. It keeps the target from warping the arrow and it allows you to more easily remove the arrow.

The destruction of arrows caused by the target many times gets wrongly blamed on the arrow, its components or glue.
1st I'd heard of this. Not sure I buy into it. Here's why. I got my 1st 18-1 and could not pull Gt's w/ both a friend and a pair of Millers arrow pulling pliers. Contacted Rinehart, they tiold me Gt's can be the worst to pull. I replied that I had 2-3 doz Gt's and wan't about to switch.

Upshot, I had the distinction of being the 1st ever to return a target to them. I wuz bummed, really wanted and liked the target. Bunch of time passes and I ran in to DJH who has had one since............well never mind, looks ,like he's drug it behind his truck since new.

He'd had no problems w/ Gt's in it. I took a few shot's and neither did I. I have another one now, another story for another time.

I checked my Gt's once me and Coxies army got them out of 18-1 number one, and they were still good to go. I'm talking spinning them w/ a dial indicator. Not saying this warp thing is bunk, got too much respect for other posters, but I can't envision a tougher pull than that 1st 18-1, which I've come to believe the composition of matl's was off some.

I've had great results w/ block and McKenzie layered foam until I shot bheads into them repeatedly.

My vote is for a bag and an 18-1. I'm still looking for one that covers both tips and is a two finger pull.

An indication:

"Eze 18:21"
shuey270

Post by shuey270 »

Morrell crossbow bag for fieldtips and rinehart 18-1 for broadheads for my Equinox.
equinox varazone gt laser 2's 125 thunderhead
wakes81

Post by wakes81 »

Had a laugh when i saw your post, i got my "new equinox" a week or two ago and have been shooting a bag of rags, which was fine. Until first shot with a broadhead and i had to dismantle the bag to get the bolt out. Second shot same thing. Third shot i thought i would just yank it out(save pulling the bag to bits again), and what should happen the insert let go and stays in the bag. So after pulling the bag to bits AGAIN, and searching through a pile of rags for a razor sharp bh. Now the equinox has been put back in its room for a few days, while i work out a new plan of attack.
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

i bought the rinehart 18-1 and it was worth every penny. :!:
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

bstout wrote:
awshucks wrote:Not saying this warp thing is bunk, got too much respect for other posters, but I can't envision a tougher pull than that 1st 18-1, which I've come to believe the composition of matl's was off some.
Dan, the carbon shaft warp comes from the heat that's being generated from the shaft rubbing against the target material upon entrance (before the arrow stops).

The shaft becomes warped in an improper target before it's removed.
Thanks, Bob. Straighten me out here. I know there's enough heat generated due to friction to 'weld' the shaft into the targets we're talking about. I played heck getting the Riney residue off the Gt shafts. But they weren't warped.

I had another experience w/ same thing at my 1st 3-D shoot. I actually twisted a GT off at the target face due to weld factor [no lube] and had a dickens of a time getting the other 4 out. They weren't warped when I got home.

Is this warpage a temporary thing? Or a ruined arrow? This is very interesting to me. As my buddy [Coxie] and I were kneeling on the 1st 18-1 w/ two hands each wrapped around Danny's pliers, I recall thinking, "Well, these are probably goners" lol. I was amazed they were ok after the ordeal. The saga didn't end there, as I commenced to try every home brew arrow slick em ever posted on here.

These were the 'old' Gt's btw.
"Eze 18:21"
Big John

Post by Big John »

awshucks:

The problem is not only with GT's. I have fixed many from other manufacturer's.
Including Aluminum's that have got stuck in some targets. I'm not entirely sure what causes this, but, some targets are mentioned to me much more frequently as the ones that they were stuck in. As well, just because they stuck real good in the target, three man removel, doesn't mean they will be warped. That is rare. I have seen Arrows from the factory that already are warped. As well as carbon bubbles and runs.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

As long as were discussing this carbon shaft make-up. What is Victory's made of ? I am interested in them as being straighter than GT II's. Some of the new GT II's you can watch the runout on a dial- indicator several thousands this way n that ! :shock:
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Bob they're with-in specs of the .003. Which is a way of saying it may vary that much on each end. It doesn't affect their accuracy til out past 40 yds. I could be wrong & have been before.
Half Bubble Off BD360