Just built 6 GT laser II's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wide8pt

Just built 6 GT laser II's

Post by Wide8pt »

I was just playing around with some arrow numbers and found out that the firebolts that I was using (with 100 gr rage 3 blades) had an FOC of only 11%. I wasn't to thrilled about that so I tried the GoldTips with the brass inserts. After assembly, I did the math and I says that with 125's 22%, 100's 20.6%. I've heard from you guys that higher is better, Do you think that is good enough? I've still got the original 4" fletching on and would like to keep it if I could. Haven't shot them yet, too friggin cold up here!
Exocet 200
Boo String
Rage 3 Blade
GT Laser II's
Pydpiper

Re: Just built 6 GT laser II's

Post by Pydpiper »

You will like the performance of the brass, and you will also be fine with the 4" fletching. The truth will be in the way the arrows fly.
The only difference I found between the 2" and 4" is when the weather is really poor, strong winds, heavy rain..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

it just depends on how you determine your FOC... mine with brass fronts and 2inch rear vanes with a 100gr head have a FOC of 16%. Some add it differently and get 18-20% but all that matters is that you compare each arrow with YOUR method.

Higher FOC is nice for stable flight in UNSTABLE conditions. But a arrow with say a 10-12% FOC will fly just fine usually. The higher FOC arrows fly more like darts which is good for pin point accuracy though out to 50 yards. A lower FOC arrow will do just fine out to 30 yards on calm days :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have adopted the test method of putting on the broadhead I intend to hunt with and shooting it at a target. If I'm shooting good groups that's all I need to know. :roll:

If the weather's that bad (windy & wet) I'm not going to shoot a deer anyway. I've had enough of trying to blood trail a deer under those conditions to last me a lifetime already. (shot one when storm clouds were threatening, but it hadn't hit yet - the arrow went through the deer, then the skies opened up - found it, but it wasn't quick or easy)
wabi