Removing inserts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tenn. Equinox

Removing inserts

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove glued inserts from a carbon arrow.
Thanks
Tenn.

Equinox
fratri

Re: Removing inserts

Post by fratri »

on my alluminum arrows I heated up a target point, got it just about red hot, had it in a vise, screwed my insert into it and pulled it out, it practically melted the insert off. I then ran a drill bit through it to clean up any debree, should work on carbon arrows as well I would think...
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Heat on the carbon will also work. I use a heat gun.
Tenpoint Matrix
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

Heat + Carbon Arrows = catastrophe You should never heat carbon arrows as it breaks down the carbon fibers. This is almost impossible to see but could cause an arrow malfunction making the arrow shatter and cause you much pain. If you can't cut it down the length of the insert or pull it out check with your pro shop.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I agree with the chief, but I have heated up the feild tip before to get the insert out as well. I have also heard of people dipping the arrow in hot water to get the insert free. It may be less damaging than exposing it to a flame.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have removed them by putting into boiling water to soften the glue. I screw the field pt into insert & used pliers, some just refuse to turn loose so i have to cut them an inch shorter
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
roly

Post by roly »

I used Gorilla glue!

I just go get another arrow :lol: :lol:
outdoors_al

Post by outdoors_al »

in another thread on here, someone found a bolt that threaded into the insert, put the bolt end into a vice, heated the bolt up with a torch and pulled the insert out that way. just a thought, haven't tried it myself, but will shortly, lumenoks are in the mail!
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

outdoors_al wrote:in another thread on here, someone found a bolt that threaded into the insert, put the bolt end into a vice, heated the bolt up with a torch and pulled the insert out that way. just a thought, haven't tried it myself, but will shortly, lumenoks are in the mail!
That works. Pliers can be used in lieu of a vise. The trick is you have to use a long screw like a 2 1/2 or 3" 8-32. Heat the end of the screw with a propane torch as far from the shaft as you can for about 10 - 15 seconds and give it a pull. If it doesn't come off heat for another 5 seconds and try again. It's still going to take some umph to take the insert out. I'd guess 20 pounds of pull. But if it isn't ready to come out and you pull too hard it'll come out but you'll be destroying the end of the shaft. You're trying to melt the glue without damaging the shaft and it's a fine line between the two. Once it's out, clean the inside of the shaft with a bore brush or round file (or both) then clean with a Qtip dipped in 99% alcohol and you're ready to go.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s