Turkey callin'

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Turkey callin'

Post by Doe Master »

:) Yup it won`t be long before we all will be suffering from TURKEY FEVER :)
Attachments
EASTERN4.JPG
EASTERN4.JPG (125.7 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
Last edited by Doe Master on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Rich

Post by Rich »

A wise old turkey hunter told me once that he never calls to a roosted bird. He was talking mature birds (3+ years old). If a tom is gobbling on the limb he is telling the ladies where he is and will wait for them to come to him. If you keep calling to him he is gonna sit tight expecting the hen to come to him. Now if the hen doesn't come to him he knows something is up and he will almost always pitch the opposite way out of the tree. I can't tell you how many times I have had a bird gobble 50 times in the tree, only to have the bird pitch away. If real hens come in before he pitches down, you don't stand a chance anyway. Now if no girls come a calling, then give him a few yelps as soon as he hits the ground and get your gun up cause he is coming. You can get away calling a lot to a 2 year old hormone enraged bird, but a mature bird will usually go the other way.

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

for years I only used my mouth to call turkerys.. growing up on a farm we had alot of wild turkeys that chickens had hatched out for us. I became rather good at natural mouth calling LOL

but once my voice changed after about 13 years of age, it didnt sound as good LOL :lol: :lol:

I never call to a roosted bird more than a few times. Just to let him know im there and for his reply.. After he gobbles, I'l usually make one or two really light and short yelps and thats it. If he doesnt have hens, he will come running when he hits the ground

trick to any turkey hunting is SETTING STILL!!!!
josh1963

Post by josh1963 »

I have had good luck the last few years with a slate call to get bring birds from long distance.Then a diaphragm in close.I also like a primos B-mobile full strut decoy,old tom hates it.I had to wait for the tom to quit beating the hell out of it before I could shoot last year.I didn't want to shoot an $80.00 decoy.
2008 Excalibur Equinox
AP scope package
Firebolts, NGSS,Ground pounder,s-coil stabilizer,Extender and cheekpiece
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

Thanks guys, very helpful. Never hunted turkey before, but my buddy has bugged me enough to go that I finally gave in. :) Can't wait to show up and be able to call better than him. :lol: Thanks again for the input. :mrgreen:
Equinox
GTII's 2" blazers
Ground pounder mount