Gobbler Guillotine results

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Gobbler Guillotine results

Post by theoldarcher »

What a beautiful day it was today! 60 degrees and light clouds made for perfect weather to shoot. My friend Blanding and I actually got the time to get out and were able to sight in his Y25 and Exomax crossbows as well as my Exocet 175. We also got a chance to run the Gobbler Guillotine Diamond Edition 125 through the ringer.
After the initial sight in with 125 grain field tips, we got ready to shoot the Guillotine. We mounted the stirrup drop bars that I had made for the clearance needed to shoot the Guillotines and screwed the Guillotine on a 22 inch Easton Power Bolt arrow. With the target set up at 30 yards Blanding fired the first Guillotine. It didn’t even hit the target. Trying again at 20 yards, this time it did hit target but it was at least 8 inches low and 8 inches right. Needless to say, we were disappointed that we were going to have to come up with another setup for turkey.
While Blanding was sighting in his Exomax I happened to think that the instructions to the Guillotine said that even though they were designed with the diamond shaped blades not to have to use straws, if any problems with accuracy occurred using the Guillotine to put try putting straws on the blades to cut out drag. I brought this up to Blanding and went and searched my wife’s mini-van knowing that my kids had to have left some straws in it. Sure enough I found two unopened straws and proceeded to measure the blades and cut them to fit.
Setting the Styrofoam target back up at 20 yards I held my breath as Blanding took aim and fired. Dead center! We both sort of looked at each other for a moment and then we both yelled out and gave high fives. Making sure that it was not an accident we cut four more straws and put them on the Guillotine and backed the target up another 10 yards to the 30 yard marker. Bingo!!! Right on the money!
I have to say that I was impressed with the cut that it made and the fact that it delivered so much Kinetic energy to the target. I can’t wait to get a shot at my first bird with them. It ought to get real interesting, really quick. I can also tell you that the 125 Diamond Edition Guillotine can really take the abuse associated with Turkey hunting. Even after taking a hard and I mean hard hit on the ground and continued shooting into the foam target, it held together and didn’t even bend the blades. The Guillotine does shoot same point of impact as the 125 grain field points. If any one has wanted to try them I believe you won’t be disappointed.
I
secret

Re: Gobbler Guillotine results

Post by secret »

Magnus bullheads dont need straws on them to have the same results. my friend used gobbler guillotine broadheads...always lost the straws in the field.. thats why he went to the Magnus blades are alot stronger too! might want to try some of these....they work great! plus they sell quiver adapters to hold them too! that was another reason he didnt like them....getting them to the feild.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I almost went with the Bullhead. But, after using the Atom Broadhead last year and having such good success with them, I decided to try their Guillotine. As far as the straws go it is not such a big deal to use them, The Diamond Editions blades are not like the old Guillotine blades, there are only two blades now instead of four and they twist so that they sit on top of each other when not in use and are very durable. When you are ready to hunt you simple un-screw the point turn the blades until they lock together and tighten the point which then locks them down.

When not in use, they fold on top of each other and I can get two of them in my quiver and still have a space left over for another arrow with a field point and claw. After putting the straws on all I have to do is fold the blades on top of each other and lock them down. The straws won’t fall off going to my Turkey blind. Once there all I have to do is unlock, unfold and hunt. It’s all a matter of personal preference and confidence in your equipment.

I didn’t write this to try and turn people away from what they felt comfortable with, I simply wrote it for the ones that were curious and had thought about it as I had. Hunt on brother and good luck with the bullheads this spring. Hope you post pictures.
wn

Post by wn »

Do the Magnus and the Guillotine clear the cocking stirrup?
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I don't know about the Bullhead but the Guillotine does not clear the stirrup unless you drop it down a little. I made a drop out of 1/2" x 1 1/4" flat aluminum stock and dropped the stirrup 2 1/2" . It works great.
Here is the link to what I made.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... up#p304447
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Two questions.

1) Oldarcher, what straws are you using? drinking straws?
2) Given the exocet has a shorter rail, has enyone tried shooting a longer arrow
to clear the stirrup? I think 24.5" arrow will clear.

I don't think the Manus bullheads will clear either.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

hikerman, yes they are regular drinking straws, small diameter. They just fit on the blades and hold secure. I thought about using a longer arrow about 25 inches, but being the tinkerer that I am, I just couldn't resist the challange of making a drop adapter for the stirrup.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Oldarcher, do you flaten the straws?
What is the blade length on those heads.

I was would like to try shooting some 25" long arrows to see how they fly.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

The blades on the Diamond Edition Guillotine are as the name states, diamond shaped so the straws stay round and do not flatten out. We get great accuracy out of the 22 inch arrow but if you can’t come up with a way to drop your stirrup down then the 25 inch will have to do. You will loose some speed due to the extra weight but as long as you keep your shots within 30 yards you should be good. Total blade length from one side to the other is 3 inches. From the center of the point to the end of a blade in just under 1 1/2:”
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

So the blade cut through straw then the turkey neck.
Weird that straws actually help the flight.
Thanks
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

hikerman, don't let the straw thing bother you. The straws that we put on our Guillotines sliced right off on impact and then completely penetrated through 8 inches of Styrofoam. I thought that was great coming out of my 175 Exocet at 30 yards. The only thing I can think of that the straws do is make the broadhead less likely to plane as it goes down range. I have enough confidence in it to use it this spring and believe me if I didn't I wouldn't be using it. The last thing I want is a wounded bird or failure to incapacitate the bird after working hard to get the bird in range.
Isis

Post by Isis »

Heres what I did a few years ago.

bkisel

Post by bkisel »

It is often said that a picture is worth a 1,000 words. How true, for me, in this case! Thanks for the above post I now know what the heck you guys are talking about. :oops:

Thanks...
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Thanks for the info Oldarcher.
Nice setup Isis.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.