Broadhead choices

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dysmal

Broadhead choices

Post by dysmal »

Greetings.

I am the proud owner of a new Equinox. This year I'll be hunting black bear and moose.

I know that Excal are really big on pushing their boltcutter broadheads, however I was wondering what you guys thought of the following :

Magnus Stinger 4 blade 150 gr :

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/stingers.html

Crimson Talon HS :

http://www.broadheads.co.za/hspeed.html

Rage 3 blade broadhead :

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/Products3Blade.aspx
B-Logger

Re: Broadhead choices

Post by B-Logger »

I can't comment on the broadheads you have listed but I do welcome you to the forum.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
michhunter

Post by michhunter »

welcome i just bought a new ecomax i went with the bolt cutters im going to be hunting deer though. Im new to this too goodluck with what you choose :wink:
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

WELCOME dysmal to the best bunch of crossbow experts in 2 countries ( USA-CANADA) I prefer 125 grain spitfire bh. but be assured your questions will be answered here :lol:
I am a hunter and proud of it.
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum

I like Rage 3 blades, lots of people don't

Broad heads are a personal preference, find one you like and go with it

they all have good points and bad points, but its up to you to choose the one that makes you happy.
casper

Post by casper »

Congrats on the Equinox. Hope you like it as much as I like mine. :D :D :D :D
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

welcome and enjoy your equinox as I do, but get ready to buy a serving jig and some serving.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum. I have no experience with any of the broadheads that you listed, but rage certainly has its fans! Look for a maximum cut that still flys well. For a fixed head for me it was slick tricks. 125g
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Get Slick tricks!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
bearclan

Post by bearclan »

welcome to the forum, lots of good info, i picked up a new exocet and i tried a bunch of broad heads, i only used excal firebolts. i had g5 montecs that i used with my pse xbow they flew very well 2 inch groups at 30, then i picked up some of those crimson talons and they wouldnt group very well at 30 yards, i picked up some rage 2 blades and they had same poi as field points! But the very first time i shot a deer with one the head broke off at the o-ring and deer was cut!!!- i tossed them in the used bin till turkey season, I switched to thunderhead xp's they shot 2 inch groups at 40 yards and I took 3 deer with them this season but the tip bent/busted on one when it hit a rib on the last buck- for this up coming season I am switching again to the 150 grain Boltcutters on a set of Big Johns pink Blazing Tigers- 368 grain arrows and 150 grain all steel boltcutters, i also swapped the original string for a excal fff string. i expect this setup should knock the first deer right off its feet! i want to try the new slicktrick 175 grain xbow tricks but cant find any yet! maybe this summer!
09 Exocet 200
Vortex Crossbow scope
D- lux Munch mount
Big John's Custom Arrows
STS
BUS314

Post by BUS314 »

LOL----NO COMMENT :wink:
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
bearclan

Post by bearclan »

yeah i spent way to much time and money on this stuff according to the wifey but what the heck u only go round once i figure. LOL tore up two targets and one foam insert on the deer!
09 Exocet 200
Vortex Crossbow scope
D- lux Munch mount
Big John's Custom Arrows
STS
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Welcome to the forum! Some great folks here. I've used the Crimson Talon HS before. They fly really well, but I thought the blades break pretty easy. I used a couple BH for target practice and broke blades on both of them. Had one snap a blade on the way into the target and one when I was trying to pull it back out. I figure if they break that easy on a target they may not stand up to well to a shoulder blade. I didn't think that the blades were very sharp out of the package either. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the other 2. Personally I'm not too fond of 4 blade BH's. I think that they are more difficult to tune to your arrow. I'd choose a 3 blade over a 4 blade any day. Enjoy the new CB!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have been using Magnus Snuffer 125 grain ( it is a 3 Blade model ) for the last couple years with my Exocet 200. Have Taken 2 0r 3 deer and a black bear with the same arrow/bh combination . The Snuffers fly very well out to my 30 yard limit and as tough as nails . I have been wondering about trying the 150 grain Snuffers to see how they would fly as well .
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Things to knowed about the 4 bladed magnus stingers they have one screw & can shift the main blade off center if you don't pay attention. They don't show a 2 blade 150 gr but do have a 125 which is a great BH. Its a research thing ck reviews read about those ppl who have shot & used the BH's yer interested in. How fer you plan on shooting may play a big part in the accuracy of BH's with yer set-up.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315