Serving separating

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lvt01

Serving separating

Post by lvt01 »

I could use some advice. I've got maybe 50 shots on the Dacron string on my Vortex when I noticed that the serving was pushing apart or separating on the right side about where the right finger of the latch holds the string when its cocked. I unstrung the bow and pushed the serving back together. Then I end flipped it...so the right side is now on the left side of the rail and then put an extra twist in it so its turned away from the finger of the latch. Waxed the heck out of string after it was back on the bow. Then took some abrasive metal cloth and ran over the fingers of the latch to make sure there was no rough edges on them as well as on the cocking rope hooks. It got dark before I had to chance to shoot it again, so I can't tell if thats going to stop it from doing it or not. I cocked and uncocked it a few times to see if it would spread the serving apart, but it doesn't apear to be now. Just wondering if there is anything else that I should do or check to stop it from doing that? Thanks!
vixenmaster

Re: Serving separating

Post by vixenmaster »

You have done all that can be done except reserve the center serving & thats what you need to do. They do that & higher poundage does it worse. Thats one of my many reasons fer shooting my vixen & sold my E'cet 200. I now can reserve but don't want a high poundage Excal :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Hi, had the very same thing happen shortly after I got my Exocet this past August. Good you caught it early because I hadn't until several strands of bow string got cut through. Had a spare string that came with the accessory package and by watching it closely have been able to do a reserving before bow strands are abraided. I'll get ~ 80 shots from regular verticle bow serving material but am waiting on an order from Danny that includes a spool of crossbow serving; I think he called it Angel.

Long and the short of it is, IMHO, that the serving job that is done on these factory strings sucks. Build yourself a serving jig and do it yourself.

Take care...
Boo

Post by Boo »

bkisel wrote:Hi, had the very same thing happen shortly after I got my Exocet this past August. Good you caught it early because I hadn't until several strands of bow string got cut through. Had a spare string that came with the accessory package and by watching it closely have been able to do a reserving before bow strands are abraided. I'll get ~ 80 shots from regular verticle bow serving material but am waiting on an order from Danny that includes a spool of crossbow serving; I think he called it Angel.

Long and the short of it is, IMHO, that the serving job that is done on these factory strings sucks. Build yourself a serving jig and do it yourself.

Take care...
To be fair to the string maker. When a new string is served the wax embedded in the string fibers and between the string strands has to be dealt with. When the serving is first applied much of the tension disappears as the wax bleeds out. Of course that is when serving separation happens. Then the owner of the string reserves it but does not have to contend with the wax and the thinks he's done a superior job because the serving job lasts longer. But yes, doing it yourself can yield better results because when strings are done in the volume that they are done in and charged out so inexpensively you get less than perfect results. It's a balance.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Boo wrote:
bkisel wrote:Hi, had the very same thing happen shortly after I got my Exocet this past August. Good you caught it early because I hadn't until several strands of bow string got cut through. Had a spare string that came with the accessory package and by watching it closely have been able to do a reserving before bow strands are abraided. I'll get ~ 80 shots from regular verticle bow serving material but am waiting on an order from Danny that includes a spool of crossbow serving; I think he called it Angel.

Take care...
To be fair to the string maker. When a new string is served the wax embedded in the string fibers and between the string strands has to be dealt with. When the serving is first applied much of the tension disappears as the wax bleeds out. Of course that is when serving separation happens. Then the owner of the string reserves it but does not have to contend with the wax and the thinks he's done a superior job because the serving job lasts longer. But yes, doing it yourself can yield better results because when strings are done in the volume that they are done in and charged out so inexpensively you get less than perfect results. It's a balance.
Thanks for being so kind in your correction of me. I can see where the wax could be a bigger issue with the much thicker Dacron crossbow strings than strings (severasl different materials) I make for my trad bows and strings I've bought for my compound bows.

Take care...
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Well...I shot the Vortex a few times tonight and my "fix" seems to be holding for now. I'm waiting for my serving tool and serving material to get here, so if it does start to let loose again I can give a try at reserving it. Never have done it before, but have been watching Boo's video's and hope I can be a fraction as good at it as he is! It just amazes me how that little extra poundage from my Ibex to the Vortex can cause so much more wear on the string.
Boo

Post by Boo »

lvt01 wrote:Well...I shot the Vortex a few times tonight and my "fix" seems to be holding for now. I'm waiting for my serving tool and serving material to get here, so if it does start to let loose again I can give a try at reserving it. Never have done it before, but have been watching Boo's video's and hope I can be a fraction as good at it as he is! It just amazes me how that little extra poundage from my Ibex to the Vortex can cause so much more wear on the string.
It's not just the poundage but more so it is the extremely acute angle of the string when fully drawn that causes serving separation.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Yes...you're right. The angle would be sharper from the finger to the end of the bow limb on the Vortex than on the Ibex. Hmmm...hadn't thought of that.