OPP wanted to talk to me.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lscha

OPP wanted to talk to me.....

Post by lscha »

Mom and I celebrated her 84th birthday with a trip to Ceasars Windsor to see if we could leave some money in Canada Saturday.

After a wonderful 5 hours of playing on Ceasars money, we were heading out to wait for our bus when my name was called over the loud speakers. Panic! I thought something must have happened to a family member or something. 'REPORT TO THE MAIN FLOOR SECURITY DESK' I couldn't get there fast enough. When I approached, the guard said wait right there and he made a phone call. When he said 'Someone wants to talk to you' I took the phone and said 'hello?'. The voice on the other end was a woman who identified herself as a high ranking OPP officer that asked me if I was carrying a gun. I said 'No' and she told me I had dropped my clip with my ID in it and my CPL (concealed pistol license) was in it and they just had to make sure I didn't bring it to Canada. She was very friendly and chatted with me a moment before we hung up. Then the guard gave me my clip and started chatting about the gun I have and how he wishes he could hunt with a handgun etc.

Nothing like a call from the gendarme in another country to get the old heart pumpin". Just thought my Canadian friends might like this story.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
NewGuy

Re: OPP wanted to talk to me.....

Post by NewGuy »

I left lots of money in the US last week so it all evens out in the end :)

My heart skips a beat everytime i get a letter from the RCMP, but then i remember I spoiled(not soiled) myself with a new toy :)
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
saxman

Post by saxman »

Get down with OPP
Yea you know me

I see where you get your good looks
Great picture.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
texan

Post by texan »

WOW, She looks more like your sister. Had to show I.D. going into Mexico onetime showed concealed licences by mistake. That wasnt good.
Texan
Normous

Post by Normous »

I wish I would have known that you were visiting, I drive past all the time and visit to donate every now and then. Happy Birthday to your mom!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I find it odd they spoke to you on the phone and did not come there to check you out .... thats like calling the local pot growers house " are you growing marijuana" No sir ... ok , have a nice day.... ... not that I mind they did not come to talk to you, just find it kind of pointless to ask on the phone :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Sliver wrote:I find it odd they spoke to you on the phone and did not come there to check you out .... thats like calling the local pot growers house " are you growing marijuana" No sir ... ok , have a nice day.... ... not that I mind they did not come to talk to you, just find it kind of pointless to ask on the phone :wink:

She is special now because she is a Criminal just like all us other Canadian gun owners :wink:
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
lscha

Post by lscha »

I thought it was odd too. I figured:

1. Maybe the (gun carrying) guards are required to notify their superiors of something like this.

2. They knew I had a bus to catch because once they swipe your card they know everything!!!

3. They may have left it up to the guard to detain us or not depending on his impression of us.

4. We looked like two little old bingo ladies.

3. They seemed more curious and amused as to why a little old bingo lady would have a CPL.

and 4. I had broken no laws and they had no right to frisk.

Even in the US they don't frisk if you tell them you are not carrying when you have a CPL. Remember, that to get a CPL they do a thorough background check and require you to attend a class so you know the laws pertaining to carrying.
Laura
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I'll go with #3 Laura, :D

It still seems a bit odd... Damn, in this country handguns are just for bad folks don't you know :wink:

I wish we could all carry a non-concealed weapon.... Damn, I figure if 15 and 16 year olds can carry a concealed weapon, we should be able to protect ourselves? What do I know, I am only a taxpayer :evil:

Have A Great Day
Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
casper

Post by casper »

Glad everything worked out for you & your mom Laura. Kind of scary though, with thoughts of the tv show LOCKED UP ABROAD running through your head. :mrgreen:
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Laura, congratulations to your mother on her birthday and congratulations to you for getting out of there before any detainment! It sounds as if you had a good time overall and we're happy it all worked out well for you.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

texan wrote:WOW, She looks more like your sister. Had to show I.D. going into Mexico onetime showed concealed licences by mistake. That wasnt good.
Texan

Wow! I've been to Mexico many times and never have I been asked anything. Never have I even saw any customs officers in Mexico. Of course I did not drive in; I walked in. They could care less. But coming back is another story as US customs can be a bit more testy.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

I suspect they didn't want to see you in person in case you actually were packin heat. This is canada remember :D
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

I hate to say it but I would hazard to guess, that tid bit of info might make it's way to the Canadian border agency. So, the next time you cross into Canada don't be surprised if you undergo a vehicle search.
lscha

Post by lscha »

We take the bus and fully expected to be searched as we left too. Full bus searches are increasingly common now. Most criminals don't have a CPL. They told me their first assumption was that I was connected to law enforcement. In any case. I would always allow enough time for a search if I was traveling to Canada in my own vehicle. I have to visit Canada some time in the future if for no other reason than to meet folks like Vix!! :lol:
Laura
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts