Friday mornings hunt!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

perrysbirds

Friday mornings hunt!

Post by perrysbirds »

Well this morning was a really nice morning once again in the turkey woods.It was my final crack at getting one this week before I head back to work.I had alot of fun this week with a couple of hens and yesturday a tom that didnt quite want to come close enough for a shot.
This morning I decided to go back to where I seen the tom and give him another try.This spot is also the place I went on my very first Turkey hunt and I got caught with the gun sitting across my lap.
As daylight arrives there is absolutely no gobbling and no sound of nothing.I was a little puzzled as I saw the birds there yesturday evening.I also decided to go back to old faithfull,the triple threat call and I gave a few soft yelps and all of a sudden almost directly above me,yes that close a whole bunch of hens started and clucking and yelping and kinda freaked me out.Still no gobbling!
I just couldnt beleive how loud they can get in the roost and when they flew down it was amazing how much noise they make.I didnt bring the decoys this morning,I left them in the truck.The wise old gobbler wasnt there or I didnt see him as there were 6 or 7 hens along with a lone jake!
At 15 yards or less this guy didnt have a chance with the pattern I got in my gun.Hevi-shot 13s 3 inch 2oz #6 with a pure gold .670 choke in my 870 and it was over at 7am!
I guess next Wednesday I will be out after that Tom that was so close to loosing his life yesturday!
Just a 12.5 lb jake that will find his way to my turkey fryer this afternoon!

If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
VixChix

Re: Friday mornings hunt!

Post by VixChix »

Congrats! Jakes are good eating and now that you've finished off your first week you can spend the rest of the season chasing that tom. :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Hey Jake steak is better than no steak Congrats!! That tom will be gettin lonely when the hens are on the nests :D
The best things in life are not things!!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Nice Jake ... a birds a bird .. still gotta fool em ... in close enough for a shot ... Congrat's !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "