? bout power stroke........

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob1961

? bout power stroke........

Post by bob1961 »

i've been shooting my exocet at a brace height of one string length/width below the high brace mark away from the riser....how much more gain in speed KE will i acheive moving it more forward in brace height....i'm sure a bunch have heard of my set up and know how its shooting now, what benifits can/will i gain going with a longer stroke....will it hurt the bow more or should i just be happy with my set up i use now...........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
casper

Re: ? bout power stroke........

Post by casper »

If your using an excel string thats about right. What you'll gain in speed won't offset the negative effects, I.E. more viberation and noise. If you use a fast flight string you can go right in the middle of the lines. As a rule you can roughly gain 10 fps per inch of stroke. Hope this help ya. :D
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

When i shoot the FFF strings i shoot them a string width above the B-line by riser & it maybe the 305 fps with 350 gr arrow as said in Excals speed statement. 5 fps is what you get fer a harsher shooting Bow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

thx guys....thats what i was thinking also....i have a boo string on now over the excalibur FFF string i had on there....the FFF string is my back up now since i had it re-servered after a year on my bow....i have boo's string set where i had the FFF was...........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Why harsher shooting with a lower brace height? Not saying it isn't the case but it sure is counter intuitive to me. It has been said that a lower brace height, all other things being equal, gives you a somewhat faster arrow flight which means more energy had to be taken from the limbs and put into the arrow. More energy into the arrow has to mean less energy left in the bow to be released as noise/vibration/harshness - right? Please explain!

Thanks,
Bill K.
wabi

Post by wabi »

bkisel wrote:Why harsher shooting with a lower brace height? Not saying it isn't the case but it sure is counter intuitive to me. It has been said that a lower brace height, all other things being equal, gives you a somewhat faster arrow flight which means more energy had to be taken from the limbs and put into the arrow. More energy into the arrow has to mean less energy left in the bow to be released as noise/vibration/harshness - right? Please explain!

Thanks,
Bill K.
Can't explain it, but it has always been the case in shooting my Excaliburs.
I have always found the "sweet spot" in brace height to be about 1⅛" measured from the riser/rail junction. At that brace height noise/vibration is noticeably less, but arrow speed is still very good.

The arrow velocity changes very little with a change in brace height within the lines scribed on the rail. I think of them as minimum (closest to the riser) and best (furthest from the riser).
As has been covered in previous discussions about breaking in new "excel" strings - it doesn't hurt to shoot the bow with the brace height above the line furthest from the riser. But let the string get below the line closest to the riser (minimum) and bad things can happen! (like the string flying off!)
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Typically, the harsher shooting bow is the result of the string crashing into the riser. For the guys that use a string catching system of some sort, like me . . .it shoots the same, just a tad faster.

However, if you are not using a string catcher, then the string hitting the riser can and will eventually break the string. You will know if the string is hitting, there will be wax and string fragments on the riser after a few shots.

I really don't think it's a big deal either way . . .however, there are some here on the forum that would kill for 5 FPS . . . :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Best can explain this is that the forward movement of limbs go abit past the B-line & the tips put that sudden impact on string that causes it to creep. The limb tips vibrate back & forth several times that you cannot see with yer eye. Makes the Bow shock/recoil harsh feeling.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

Kenny Barr, a 2 time World 3D winner as well as Bill Troubridge both use a one inch brace height. You would be wise to lower it a string width at a time to see where you like it.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

boo you say 1" brace height....where is that measured from, the closest brace mark toward the riser and back from that 1"....or should i just ask where is brace height measured from, lol........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
Boo

Post by Boo »

From point A to the string. There's nothing wrong with loosing speed if there is a trade off but to waste speed is a sin! :mrgreen:
From my website http://boocustomstrings.com/importantstuff.html
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

Boo beat me to the answer, but I'll post mine anyway. :wink:

Bob,
Before Excalibur started marking the lines on the rail the brace height was a common topic. Somewhere in the archives is a picture, but I don't have the time tonight to do a search.
The brace height is measured from the line where the riser section butts up against the rail of the bow.
Not sure of the exact measurements, but the forward line on the rail of newer Excaliburs is around 1/2" brace height and the rear line (closest to the shooter) is around 1". I'm sure those distances are off slightly, but somewhere close to the rear line is usually where the bow suits me best.
I actually use (holdover from the days before the rail had etched lines) my thumb as a gauge to measure brace height. My thumb just happens to measure 1 1/8" wide and works perfectly for me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

thx boo fer dat pic and you too wabi fer the info, heck thx all fer replying to my question :wink: ....i have been running mine a string width below the fer line.....bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.