Wood vs Composite

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

Wood vs Composite

Post by MarkMarine »

The first crossbow, again, I made was a Jayhawk Field & Stream special complete with a maple wood stock. I made a second crossbow stock a little later on that was walnut (as I remember right since this was in 76 things get blurry). The first modern crossbow I owned was a Horton, then a Tenpoint, until finally an Excalibur. All the modern crossbows had the polymer stock on them.

I remember shooting the Exomag quite well. It was, perhaps, the loudest of the 3 modern makes I spoke of. When I needed to replace that weapon, I chanced upon a Y25. A beautiful bow to say the least. I was concerned about the use/abuse it would take hunting (as it has a hardwood laminate stock) and would (and will I imagine) show signs of wear where a polymer would not.

I am well aware of the comparisons between wood and composite - but the fact remains, unless you are using it like a flaming machete, the stock should retain much of its beauty and luster.

The question is, has any other Y25 owners (or those who have been graced enough to know Agingcrossbow and have one of his custom stocks) noticed the difference in sound between the polymer/composite and the wood stocks when shooting?

I do imagine that the decibel reduction in normal crossbow ranges would not be significant given the velocities of our arrows and the limited reaction time of the game. However, if we are exploring string-stoppers, adjusting brace-heights, and going so far as to foam-fill our composite stocks, then apparently it does matter somewhat to someone.

I will add one other thing, the weight (which I thought would be a lot more) is +/- the same as the composite.
MarkMarine

Re: Wood vs Composite

Post by MarkMarine »

Bstout, much respected. There are so many things you can do with composite not the least of which is campflauge. I have seen some early models of wood which were McGyver'd to resemble camo - but the fact is the ones I saw could not retain that pattern long as the paint or "tape" invairiably cracked, chipped, scarred.

Perhaps it is my poor hearing that has declined? I do not know, but there seemed a distinct difference in sound and I was curious if others shared this experience.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Wood is quiet but also heavy, I like wooden stocks and have plans in the making of another for my max, a sporty look, lighter and more of a English straight stock look and I know it will work well.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

look at how many wooden gun stock have been in use for years....sure they get there dings and scratches....but hey that is just memories of past hunts to me and adds nothing but character to my weapons :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Wood is definitely lower in noise and shock. Not just because it is heavier but also because of it's resiliency. If you are worried about damage then lay a clear 3M tape over strategic areas and hunt.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It gives the crossbow a better balance too. A crossbow with a wood stock should be more consistant, everything else remaining the same.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

The wood will be both heavier and more quiet. But the weight will also help with hold and accuracy much like a heavier target rifle. And the composite is louder partly due to the thin portions resonating with the shot. The thicker heavier wood absorbs that better versus resonating like composite. I love my wood stock over composite!
Why ride when you can walk!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

There are pro's and con's to most everything that hangs on a bow and stocks are'nt any different. The con for wood is weight. I am bias on which to pick because I have had a love affair with wood all my life. So, no need to ask me what turns my head. :wink: :mrgreen:
Tom

Post by Tom »

Wood is usually less noisy just because wood is an insulator. It will dampen sound when compared to plastic or composite. Another factor is when shooting, remember that the stock rests against your cheek bone, therefore all vibrations will seem louder because your bone structure will transfer sound directly to your ear (just like in the DR's Turning Fork tests).

I personally like the wood over the other stocks for many reasons (I have the original Relayer) .... better balance, better feel are the two most important for me, but those are my opinions. The stocks Excalibur make today are more reliable, sturdy, and tougher to damage. Remember Excalibur want simplicity where very little can go wrong to ruin a hunt or shooting trip. Wood stocks can break alot more easily then the newer stocks. On a hunt trip and you break a stock, I guess you could have just spoiled a good hunt.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

I love the beauty/properties of a wood stock, but for all my hunting arms (crossbows and guns - including "traditional" (sidelock) muzzleloaders) I prefer composite!
It will take a beating and weather doesn't affect it!

A good wood stock is a thing of beauty, but hunt with it and it will inevitably get scratches & dings that make it look like crap. The composite stock usually looks like crap right out of the box, so there's no worry of scarring it's beautiful appearance! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I am making a wood stock I got off NewGuy who did the hard part off cutting in the channel for the rail.Will put up some pics once it looks a little more like a stock.
I wonder if you filled in the gaps in the composite stock with silicone would help quiet it down some.And also add some weight to it.
Anyone tried this?
Tenpoint Matrix
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

bstout wrote:
I wear my crossbow while on stand. My safety harness has attachments that allow my crossbow to always be in the *ready position*. My crossbow sits on my lap and is attached to my harness by rubber coated wire hooks. One hook attaches to the front of the synthetic stock and the other hook attaches to the rear. I use the "edges" of the synthetic stock to attach too.
Bob, any chance of seeing a picture of those wire hooks and strap in action? i am having a hard time visualizing hooking to the edges.

Also, has the crossbow ever fallen off the hooks when you move around?