Wet crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Wet crossbow

Post by Boo »

I've been doing a few triggers lately and I want to bring something to everyone's attention. I would say about 90% of the trigger's I've seen are very rusty inside. If not attended to someone is going to run into trouble. Do your bow a favour and after a rain or after the bow has gotten wet put it over a moderate heat source like a heating register to have warm dry air circulate around the bow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Morangus

Re: Wet crossbow

Post by Morangus »

Good tip Boo! Thanks!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I had don do my trigger, when he sent me a pic of the inside of my trigger I was surprised at the crud inside. An this was a bow I only had for a short time.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
RANGER94

Post by RANGER94 »

Would spraying a little WD-40, and maybe using a hair dryer on low setting do the trick?
lscha

Post by lscha »

Ranger! Ranger! WELCOME! Image
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Boo did mine have that nasty creeping crud in it ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

vixenmaster wrote:Boo did mine have that nasty creeping crud in it ?
You bet Mike! Some are so crusty that I have a bit of a time getting them off the pins. I think Corey's was the worst so far! :lol: :lol: :lol: I think he was hunting for shrimp! :mrgreen:
Boo

Post by Boo »

RANGER94 wrote:Would spraying a little WD-40, and maybe using a hair dryer on low setting do the trick?
I think it may because it is pretty good at displacing moisture but it would then collect garbage around the latches and then that garbage would fall into the trigger mechanism then a call to Danny Miller would be in order! When I big game hunt I always remove by bolt and lean the rifle over a heater (the best being a hot air register). Every since I lost a shot to a big ass Elk in the mountains of Laramie Wy because of a frozen firing pin I always do that rain, snow or shine (I figure that most mornings if the grass is wet from dew or I go from cold to warm my stuff will have some moisture somewhere). So I don't think a crossbow is any different.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Hey Don can you explain what you do to the triggers?
Boo

Post by Boo »

TYE wrote:Hey Don can you explain what you do to the triggers?
Nope!
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Don did my trigger while I was his house and I would not recommend anyone tackle this job.
Don is very meticulous when he opens and works the magic on the trigger.

I watched him do mine with great detail and will never attempt it on my own.

So have him do it and you will not regret it at all.

I have put this out before anyone close to me thinking about it and wants to try one out contact me and I will be glad to meet you so you can test one out.
Tenpoint Matrix
Boo

Post by Boo »

Dereck wrote:Don did my trigger while I was his house and I would not recommend anyone tackle this job.
Don is very meticulous when he opens and works the magic on the trigger.

I watched him do mine with great detail and will never attempt it on my own.

So have him do it and you will not regret it at all.

I have put this out before anyone close to me thinking about it and wants to try one out contact me and I will be glad to meet you so you can test one out.
Thank you Dereck! You're a pal!
outdoors_al

Post by outdoors_al »

I'm still new to the xbow world, not that still shiny kind of new, but you still get that new car smell once in awhile kind of new :) I'm not asking for your trade secrets about doing a trigger, I'm just wondering what the end result of you doing whatever to the trigger is?? Does this guarantee a perfectly placed shot everytime or something? lol!
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

I have been working on shotgun triggers for twenty years, mostly trap guns so I have a degree of comfort in this area.

I reworked the trigger assembly on the old exocet 165 that I bought. To say it had creep would be an understatement. When I pulled the assembly it was a mess and I was surprised it even functioned with all the corrosion, dirt and crud.

I am going to work the trigger of my Phoenix and it will be interesting to see if any changes have been made to the assembly compared to the old carved tip exocet. I am looking for a cleaner break on the phoenix trigger compared to what it now has.

Using wd40 or the other "wet" lubricants or water displacer's is a no no. Use the dry lubricants, there are a lot of good ones available at all the shooting supply places. :)
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I take care of my equipment and so did the guy I got my bow off of and I was amazed how much crap was in there when Don took it apart.
Tenpoint Matrix