Wet crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Migabby

Re: Wet crossbow

Post by Migabby »

[quote][Using wd40 or the other "wet" lubricants or water displacer's is a no no. Use the dry lubricants, there are a lot of good ones available at all the shooting supply places. /quote].

(1) How about using Compressed air and then a dry lub?

(2) Where would you spray the Lub?

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

Migabby wrote: (1) How about using Compressed air and then a dry lub?

(2) Where would you spray the Lub?

Migabby

In order for compressed air to do any good and in order to use a dry lube you have to remove the stock from the rail and trigger assembly. Then you have to remove the trigger assembly from the rail by removing two hex head bolts. You cannot get at anything while the assembly is still in the rail. I am not suggesting you do this if you are not familiar with this type of work or do not have someone with you who has worked triggers before. We are talking about a piece of the system here that can put a world a hurt on ya. And i am pretty sure excallibur doesent want all the owners to start pullin apart their trigger assemblies.

That being said the assembly on the old exocet was a clever design but certainly not rocket science. If you have some experience in this area and have the usual array of smith tools including the proper sized drifts you should have no problem. I would rate this assembly as harder to work on then a mossburg 500 (because there is little you can do to help that sorry ass trigger) but way easier then a browning BP-99, or on a scale of 1 to 10 with one being the easiest this is about a 4. Oh and i took a bunch of detailed pictures throughout the whole disassembly just to be sure i reassembled correctly. It is also a great time to take a look see at the string retaining/release hooks and dress down any sharp edges that may he causin ya early serving failure.

Back to the original topic....... I would just use a hair dryer or set it in a place with a lot of air moving to dry out what cha can.
Boo

Post by Boo »

You do not need a drift to do the work.
I strongly advise that no one try it themselves.
Crossbow triggers present a far more dangerous situation than a firearm.
There is no reason to improve a trigger if it is only used for hunting. I don't know anyone that notices a bad trigger during the moment of truth.
No creep should ever be taken out of a crossbow trigger mechanism unless there is an absolute guarantee that the bow will only be used in a controlled environment like a range. The weight of the lower sear makes the bow a dangerous tool when used in a hunting situation or just walking around with it.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

The amount of pull ,travel , creep or whatever you want to call it will still be there when Don is done but you will hardly notice it because it will be smooth.
Your trigger will never emulate a firearms just a much cleaner pull and release.
Tenpoint Matrix
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

Back to one of my original Questions :?: Where do you suggest we spray the dry Lub?? Explain!!!!!!!!! :idea:

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Boo

Post by Boo »

Migabby wrote:Back to one of my original Questions :?: Where do you suggest we spray the dry Lub?? Explain!!!!!!!!! :idea:

Migabby
Do not use dry-lube. It won't change a thing.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

When I hunt and get caught in the rain I dry the trigger area as best I can by blowing compressed air from top & bottom, then put it where it will dry.

I did use WD-40 on the trigger/claw mechanism when new (hopefully cleaned out any dirt or filings from the factory) and it smoothed it up a lot. Once or twice a year I give it a spray of WD-40 and follow that with plenty of compressed air to blow away the excess WD-40.
I happen to like WD-40 for cleaning parts, and see no ill effects from using it to displace moisture and clean mechanisms, and I've been using it for decades on outdoor equipment (knives, guns, reels, and now crossbows).
Main thing is to get rid of the excess WD-40 after cleaning so it doesn't hold dirt & grit to cause wear.
WD-40 is more of a moisture displacing and cleaning product than a lube and/or rust preventative IMO.

As for tuning the trigger, I have never had the rail out of the stock and don't intend to unless something breaks or locks up! The trigger is fine for hunting, and good for target shooting as-is.
For once I'm following my own advice of "don't fix it unless it's broke!" :lol: :lol:
wabi
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

The measured trigger pull on my exocet was just a bit over five pounds when I got it and the creep up to the break was awful, like it hit a wall. The trigger pull after disassembly and cleaning is now exactly three lbs and it is smooth as silk with a surprise break. My accuracy increased a great deal after servicing the trigger.

The measured trigger pull on my phoenix is 3.42 lbs and the break is anything but a surprise. I am absolutely sure I can improve the performance of this trigger.

I use a digital Lyman trigger pull scale and you can pick them up for bit over fifty bucks.
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

What about shooting a cleaner/de-greaser into the trigger assembly? It penetrates every crack and crevice and loosens all kinds of corruption. I use the the Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, and the stuff really cleans out the gunk on all of my firearms triggers...especially auto-pistols. It evaporates quickly, and gets rid of any water moisture as well. Then a spritz of WD40 or gun oil to put a layer of fresh lube over the cleaned assembly? What are the thoughts about doing this?
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

l agree wabi l've used it for years & on all my crossbow triggers as well & what a difference it makes even bill.t says in one of the excalibur film clips about wd 40 a shot up through the bottom of the trigger & one through the safety if your shooting in a wet climate. so he ort to no ah...
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

I had Boo service the trigger on my equinox and my exocet!!WoW :o
What a diffrence!! Thanks Don :D
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Boo did his magic on my trigger. Now its slicker than Owl poop! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day boo just wondering l'm doing all the paper with the help from a mate in canada to bring in a new equinox into australia if l get him to send you the trigger will it still be covered by excaliburs warranty? thanks mate best regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Well I had to go look and mine was a mess..grit and dirt..after cleaning it up it there was very noticable difference. Someone mentioned a sticker about warranty ????mine didnt have anything but its an older exomag...as far as lube goes..YUK I dont like it..anything in there that dirt and dust can stick to will do just that --attract dirt and debris..a clean and dry trigger should be fine..mine is.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!