New string review.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: New string review.

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi wrote:Thanks for the pics.
Looks like it's holding up well. My problem with dacron endless loop strings has not been WEAR, but SEPARATION.
The material underneath stretches and and inch of serving is now trying to cover an inch and a quarter of string. :roll:

I may try some fastflight (non-stretching) type material for a string one of these days. :wink:
wabi . . .these strings are not Dacron . . .not sure if you realized that. They are made with Brownell Astro Flight.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Hi
I just wanted to comment on this issue.
First, with ANY flemish style string their will be a period when the string is new and the individual fibers are mechanically fitting into themselves under pressure and excluding the wax that they contain. This makes the string get longer and once the fibres have reached their maximum density they stabilize and the string stays that length. This isn't stretch, their is VERY little stretch in the dynaflite we use on our flemish strings. Usually it takes about 20 shots for a string to reach what is pretty well a stable condition in my experience.
Dacron, on the other hand, does stretch a bit over time, but this is also a strong point in it's favor since the elasticity allows it to give a bit under dryfires and protects the crossbow's limbs. Twisting the same direction that the serving turns will shorten the string and tighten the serving by increasing the diameter as well as twisting it tighter. Eventually however the serving often seperates although this looks bad, generally you can continue to shoot your string in this condition for a long time (I know that I do) The exception to this would be if you had a rough spot on your catch, but even then it's only when you see several loose strands in the body of the string that you should replace the string. If you want to reserve the string this is a problem, but all of our strings are stronger than required and a couple of loose and broken strands is no big deal.
There was some comment regarding Danny Miller's strings also. Danny makes pretty much all of our strings for us, so there should be no difference between his strings and what we use.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bill T . . .on the Danny Miller string. He made me a few that were thicker and from a couple of different materials when we were testing serving materials. We wanted to see if the string material made a difference in serving life. The one I shot in the review was a 36 strand string made from 452 Plus. I had to call it a custom string because, it's not a standard string. I'm not sure if Danny actually offers those for sale.

You obviously are dead on with your accessment of the Dacron material. I find it very hard to keep the first serving on for any period of time when using it on my Exomax. There is a period of time that you can wax a separated serving and actually push it back together. Once that stops working , then I suggest reserving it. Otherwise the string can get damaged and you may have to toss it. The strings will last for several seasons. The second and third servings do very well, much better than the first serving. Once that initial break in period is done it's a fine string material. The Dacron string is much more pleasurable to shoot. I perfer using the Dacron when target shooting. However, when I get ready to hunt, I feel the need for speed and put on the faster string.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Oh, so Danny's been fooling around with strings! Doesn't surprise me a bit! He's still up North exercising our bear population, no news whether he got one yet though.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bill T wrote:Oh, so Danny's been fooling around with strings! Doesn't surprise me a bit! He's still up North exercising our bear population, no news whether he got one yet though.
:lol: :lol:

I hope he gets a big one and tells me all about it next time I call. :shock: :P

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

I realize these strings are not dacron, I was just saying that with dacron the loop serving will sometimes separate quickly.

Thinking of trying some of the new materials one of these days, I'm tired of fighting the stretch of dacron when most bows will use "fastflight" these days.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Awesome review as usual Scott, I am ordering the wife a pair of strings in hot pink to match her bow.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

bstout wrote:
Bill T wrote: He's still up North exercising our bear population, no news whether he got one yet though.
I'd bet he's toting his trusty Exocet 175 with the standard stock and straight riser. :D

Okay Pard...uh huh...uh huh...
Get more action than you can handle, Bob, send the 'over' my way, lol. You pegged this one!
"Eze 18:21"
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

just bumping to the top since I have alot of questions directed my way for strings this past week...
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Ths review "forced" me to order 2 strings this past week for myself and a friend. After speaking with Wyvern I also ordered a STS system for my Equinox since our early Archery Season for Does opens in T MINUS 10 DAYS! I couldn't waid for the Excal version any longer. Great review amd I will be sure to post the outcome of using these strings.
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

bstout wrote:A person can't go wrong when ordering a custom string from any of the many custom string makers.

My custom made strings come from forum member gad (Gus in Brazil) and I couldn't be happier with them.

I do have the itch to try a Viper-X string but I can't justify it. There's nothing wrong with any of my gad custom strings. I almost wish one of them would act up.

Just kidding, Gus if you see this! :shock: :D
I got one of the Viper-X strings last year for my Vortex; Boo was back-logged and I needed another one. Communicated on line with the guy who makes them. The Viper-X looks very much like the Wyvern pics; loops wound very tight; had the string on most of last year and it never streched one iota!! Viper-X is a very well made string and looks great too. I think it was $37. It might be a "tad" louder but not enough that the doe got out of the way!!!
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

just ordered 6 here for friends and myself.. Wyvern was extremely nice to chat with and pretty much backed up those strings. ll post a full review shortly when i get mine. Highly reccomend talking to him! Quick replies also
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Sopchoppy wrote:
bstout wrote: It might be a "tad" louder but not enough that the doe got out of the way!!!

its like trying to make a 12g shotgun sound like a 20g shotgun:) its still loud no matter what you do :lol: :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

just an update but I just ordered and they shipped the same day!!! Excellent turn around time
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

I ordered mine Fri and they were out of strings when I called. The strings and STS showed up today even with Monday being a holiday.