Vortex limbs quite different

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

spaerorob

Vortex limbs quite different

Post by spaerorob »

I purchased a vortex and noticed that while firing it the cheek piece noticable pushes into my chin when firing. Having only fired my equinox i didnt think much of it. But I have allso noticed one limb has more curve in it than the other limb and the string is a bit of set with the rail. I have a lumizone scope and once I sighted it in fires dead on.Except for the occasional sore chin should this be something to worry about. Have'nt been on the site for a while, goodday all.
vixenmaster

Re: Vortex limbs quite different

Post by vixenmaster »

Hopefull some Vortex shooters will post on this. I don't own one nor a cheek piece but one limb bowed more than the other doesn't sound right to me
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

If one limb is out of tiller it will work harder than the other limb, or it will cause the other limb to work harder than it. When shooting a vertical bow this is desirable if the knock point on the string is not centered, and thus one limb has to work a little harder to overcome the off centered knock point. On a crossbow you want both limbs to be the same (equidistant from the string along the length of the limb). My own Vortex had a slight difference between limbs. The right limb was 1/8" closer to the the string than the left limb. It wasn't much, but I like my bow tiller to be as best I can make it. I simply placed an additional plastic shim between it and the bow riser, bringing it into line with the left limb.

If one of your limbs is way out of tiller (say 1/4" or more), you probably will get some kind of kick from one side/limb over the other, due to the inbalance. This may explain why you feel it kicking into your cheek. I would measure the distance between bow limbs and string and see how they match up, particularly at the point where the limb comes off the riser, and the point where the limb is at its greatest distance from the string. If you're a 1/4" or more, your limbs may not have been matched correctly at the factory. I'm just guessing on this one, as I'm not sure what Excalibur has determined acceptable in limb tiller differences.
spaerorob

Post by spaerorob »

PA_DeerHunter wrote:If one limb is out of tiller it will work harder than the other limb, or it will cause the other limb to work harder than it. When shooting a vertical bow this is desirable if the knock point on the string is not centered, and thus one limb has to work a little harder to overcome the off centered knock point. On a crossbow you want both limbs to be the same (equidistant from the string along the length of the limb). My own Vortex had a slight difference between limbs. The right limb was 1/8" closer to the the string than the left limb. It wasn't much, but I like my bow tiller to be as best I can make it. I simply placed an additional plastic shim between it and the bow riser, bringing it into line with the left limb.

If one of your limbs is way out of tiller (say 1/4" or more), you probably will get some kind of kick from one side/limb over the other, due to the inbalance. This may explain why you feel it kicking into your cheek. I would measure the distance between bow limbs and string and see how they match up, particularly at the point where the limb comes off the riser, and the point where the limb is at its greatest distance from the string. If you're a 1/4" or more, your limbs may not have been matched correctly at the factory. I'm just guessing on this one, as I'm not sure what Excalibur has determined acceptable in limb tiller differences.
Thanks mate i will measure them and get back.
spaerorob

Post by spaerorob »

bstout wrote:
spaerorob wrote: noticed one limb has more curve in it than the other limb
It may have spent some time in the sun.

A vehicle with the windows rolled up can be big trouble for any bow & arrow.
No has'nt left the house, I only got it to shoot targets in the back yard.( only 2 months old.)
spaerorob

Post by spaerorob »

spaerorob wrote:
PA_DeerHunter wrote:If one limb is out of tiller it will work harder than the other limb, or it will cause the other limb to work harder than it. When shooting a vertical bow this is desirable if the knock point on the string is not centered, and thus one limb has to work a little harder to overcome the off centered knock point. On a crossbow you want both limbs to be the same (equidistant from the string along the length of the limb). My own Vortex had a slight difference between limbs. The right limb was 1/8" closer to the the string than the left limb. It wasn't much, but I like my bow tiller to be as best I can make it. I simply placed an additional plastic shim between it and the bow riser, bringing it into line with the left limb.

Thanks mate i will measure them and get back.
I measured both limbs, spot on. The thickness of the limbs i can't measure. I have removed the riser and limbs a replaced them with a set i have from a equinox(out of the box)i have as a spair incase our Big brother decides to ban them, a problem in Australia. These limbs are perfect, no chin slap and set fine wierd. I've got totalk to Black Jack the distrbutor here and work it out , but thanks for the help mate.