Effective Crossbow Yardage

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

retrieverman

Effective Crossbow Yardage

Post by retrieverman »

I am completely new to crossbows, and I just received the Exomax that I bought from Sneak yesterday. I have been able to shoot it a few time between jobs, and from what I can tell, it is screaming accurate. I am already shooting one hole groups at 20 yards, and my plan is to move the target out to 30 and 40 yards this week.

What is a practical hunting distance for cleaning killing deer?

Years ago, when I hunted with a compound bow, I wouldn't take a shot over 25-30 yards, but since a crossbow is so much more accurate and powerful, I would assume that I would be able to extend the range at least a little. :?

Thanks!Image
awshucks

Re: Effective Crossbow Yardage

Post by awshucks »

They would be great for longer ranges shots on other than white tail deer. Same range as your compound is common sage advice.
"Eze 18:21"
Big Pard

Post by Big Pard »

It all depends on the deers state of alertness and how far you can shoot accurately. Another thing to consider is that penetration tends to fade as distances increase and if you're using fixed blades or mechanicals. Arrow weight is another factor effecting penetration. I too shoot an Exomax and FOR ME- I would take a shot at 50yds, under the right circumstances. It really is a personal choice depending on ones skill and how far they are comfortable shooting.
Micro 335
Dead Zone Scope
Vixenmaster String
Munch Mount
Zombie Slayers
100gr Slick Trick
Normous

Post by Normous »

I suggest staying with your 25-30 yard personal range. With your deer hunting experience that range should not be difficult. Have a great season!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I will only shoot out to 35 yds as you can see these things are loud and even a deer which is relaxed and has no clue you are there will still react to the noise.
Good luck and make sure you show us some pics if you are successful.
Tenpoint Matrix
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Stick to the same rules as your regular bow. Alot can go wrong from "point A" to "point B". A Deer could take a half a step, Now you went from a "well aimed shot" to a Grassbag. A twig you didn't see grazed a vane. Now the shaft has a mind of it's own. Wind, loss of energy, hit a mosquito on the way, the sky was blue that day, the sun, for some odd reaon came up in the east. The reasons are endless! :lol:
A bad shot can turn a good hunt into a nightmare fast!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Beyond 35 yards and even with the power and accuracy of your Exomax . . .the deer can move before your arrow gets there. They can move enough to make your accurate shot miss my a large margin. Basically, after 35 yards, it's gambling. Deer may move . . .deer may not. The odds heavily favor the deer moving too.

I shot a injured buck a couple of seasons ago from 40 yards. He didn't move. But, odds were in my favor that he would not move. The Exomax is loud, as with all crossbows, so odds are the deer will move.

I did a thread a few weeks ago about "string jump", do a search from the function at the top of the page. There is a link to a article that does the math.

Welcome to the forum. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

When hunting I set markers out to 30 yds if my prey comes into that kill zone I take the shot if it does not, then no shot taken I would rather pass on an bad hit than spend the night tracking.
The best things in life are not things!!
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Thanks for the advice! I have a stand set up that should suit xbow hunting pretty well. My longest shot would be about 30 yards.

As loud as my bow is, I was afraid that the deer might jump the string. A few years ago, my son was shooting an old Onieda bow that he inherited from my Dad, and he had a deer jump the string. BUT, the deer jumped the wrong way, and the arrow hit it directly in the neck and dropped it. Dead on the spot! :lol:
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

MADMAX2 wrote:When hunting I set markers out to 30 yds if my prey comes into that kill zone I take the shot if it does not, then no shot taken I would rather pass on an bad hit than spend the night tracking.
I completely agree. I don't want to ever just wound a deer. Tracking is not a problem though because I have a Lab that is trained and proven to find deer and hogs. Annie's longest trail was about a quarter of a mile, and her coldest trail was 18 hours after the shot.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Hey nice dog!! I would do the same with my lab here in Ontario, but we have dumb ass laws about using our dogs to track wounded animals in the southern part of the province.

In the north part of Ontario you can use dogs to track :?
The best things in life are not things!!
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

MADMAX2 wrote:Hey nice dog!! I would do the same with my lab here in Ontario, but we have dumb ass laws about using our dogs to track wounded animals in the southern part of the province.

In the north part of Ontario you can use dogs to track :?
Well, we have the same dumb law in my part of Texas, but I am not going to leave a dead or wounded deer in the woods on my own place. :roll:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You got: nice pics, nice dog, lot's of nice toys, lol. Congrats!
"Eze 18:21"
wabi

Post by wabi »

MADMAX2 wrote:When hunting I set markers out to 30 yds if my prey comes into that kill zone I take the shot if it does not, then no shot taken I would rather pass on an bad hit than spend the night tracking.
x2

My limit is 30 yards and I sight in my Phoenix at 25, so a "center of the kill zone" hold is all that's required. No worrying about exact range, if it's inside the 30 yard markers it's just a matter of waiting for a good shot angle.
wabi
Lakelover

Post by Lakelover »

Nice Piggies.
I used to own 5 of those. Taste real good.

Some have gone ferrel up here and people are not used to them.

I have not seen one in the wild, but remember visiting Texas as a kid and a fellow had one in his truck and I was talking to him. He said you only get one shot! or prepare to lose a leg.

After looking after these Wild Boars, I realize I don't want to suprise a sow with little one's about.
Axiom

They used to call me cheap, now I'm eco friendly!