boltcutter broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigfoothunts

boltcutter broadheads

Post by bigfoothunts »

Finally got the 150 gr. Boltcutter/firebolt combo to group.I would say 4 inch group at 30 yards. is this normal? W/ field tips my Exomax will shoot them in the same hole at the same distance.. Has any body shot a heavier arrow w/ the boltcutter to see if grouping is better? Don't really want to go to a mechanical head.
RichJ

Re: boltcutter broadheads

Post by RichJ »

I will bet $$$$$ the guys who shoot a fixed broadhead will tell you shoot the Slick Tricks. I have friends that shoot them and will destroy something on almost everyshot if shooting the same spot into a broadhead target at 30yrds.

Myself ,I tried the Bolt Cutters and went to the Rage 2 blade.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I shoot 125gr muzzy's and will get damn near same hole accuracy at twenty yards.

4 inches sounds rather big. Are you using a scope or peep sight?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I'm getting 3" groups at 40 yards and love them. This is more than adequate for the hunting I do for deer. This is with the same set-up you're using
In the Wind.......
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I'd say a 4 inch group at that range is rather large also. Well, that is if you're using a scope from some type of rest. I would continue to experiment if you can. I'd bet you'll find one that groups better. Might even try the 175 grain Slick Trick.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Have you spin tested the broadheads?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gruntahunta

Post by gruntahunta »

I use the boltcutter broad head's and only once have I shot them at the same spot, three shots with the boltcutters and I was left with one bolt, the first two bolts/arrows had the vanes shaved off! and so I wont do that again! that was at 30 yards with 2219's shafts.

I do like the boltcutters but I will give the slick trics a go one day, just to see for my self.
responsible hunters are true conservationists and game managers.
masboy

Post by masboy »

ishoot a vortex and son shoots equinox with firebolts &boltcutters we line up fletching with blades and spin test have shoot more than one one inch group at 50 yds bows all stock
M&M

Post by M&M »

I am shooting a exocet 200 and this year tried the boltcutters with easton 2216s and I am hitting a 3inch bullseye all the way out to 50yds no problem I have not found another fixed blade broadhead that shoots this good "for me" so this is the first year that I will be shooting a fixed blade broadhead with my exocet have been shooting spitfires for several years
M&M
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i tried the 150gr bolt cutters that came with my package and couldn't get them to fly straight at all, no matter what i did to raise FOC....i went to 125 slick trick mags and shot one hole groups every time....i spin tested them and the ones that spun true even went off POA....i ddn't know what to think why they did that....here is 2 shots at the target with the bolt cutters at 30 and 40yds and 1 shot with a field point, the bolt cutters are marked 30 and 40yds and the arrow is the target tip....

you can see that the bolt cutters planned way off line and to where they hit at the yardage i shot them at, i have no clue why they did this....i was using 150gr field points too that came with the bolt cutters, i even weighed all tips/BH's and only had 1 to 2gr difference avg.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Depending on when your season starts. Buy a pack of the Rage 2 blade and call it a day. I have yet to even shoot them before season. When they hit the same POI as your field tips why bother.
KBW

Post by KBW »

we line up fletching with blades shoot more than one one inch group at 50 yds
find tune your bolt :D two inch at 50 over here :wink:
2010 EXCALIBUR VORTEX FLEMISH DYNA STRING RIGHT.STUFF,PACKAGE
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

I have no problem with the boltcutters. No problem hitting the bullseye from 50yrds.- standing shots only.