How to Site In Vari-Zone Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dryhorn21

How to Site In Vari-Zone Scope

Post by dryhorn21 »

Can someone tell me how to site the vari-zone scope for exomax in. Does anyone have a PDF file they can email me?
awshucks

Re: How to Site In Vari-Zone Scope

Post by awshucks »

Short version:
1. shoot at 10 to make sure you're on the target
2. sight crosshairs at 20
3. move to 40 or 50 and adjust speed ring til you are on.
4. check 30
5. read instructions, lololol.

There's a thread on this w/ in the last few pages, longer version discussed there.
Welcome to the forum!

edited to add: on page 2
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=34857
Last edited by awshucks on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Eze 18:21"
KBW

Post by KBW »

:roll:
Last edited by KBW on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 EXCALIBUR VORTEX FLEMISH DYNA STRING RIGHT.STUFF,PACKAGE
Hendu2875

Post by Hendu2875 »

I actually have my crosshairs sited in at 30, and its dead on at 50...
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

If you rezero it at 20yrd with the crosshairs, the mil dots are for 30,40 and 50yrds. If you are shooting high at 50 yrds turn the fps ring to a higher fps setting.-f shooting low do the opposite. I may be reading you reply wrong but it unlikely you are zeroed at 20 yrds with the crosshairs and also hitting at 50 yrds with the sight setting. If so, use a smaller target and don't just go by hitting the target bag.
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

Time for a tangent for this thread!

When sighting in at 20 yards, should your speed ring be at the lowest setting or the expected speed of your bow?

Does it matter?

I sighted in at 20 while my ring was at 325.....was this wrong?

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by Hendu2875 »

I believe it should be at the expected Speed!
I sighted mine in at 30 yrds.. I use the Top Trajectory for 20, the first Chevron for 40, the 2nd for 50 and the last for 60.. Works great for me..

and i'm DEAD on at 30, 40 and 50.. and i mean accurate as hell.. I'm really impressed with how the Exocet is shooting right now!
TPM

Post by TPM »

No, it doesn't matter. Your center crosshairs remain in the same position no matter what your speed ring is set at. Set your crosshairs at 20 yards with windage and elevation adjustments then use your speed ring to set the elevation at 40 yards and you're finished.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I know this has been said before, but I think I'm right in saying that the speed ring really has nothing to do with speed per se. It just changes the magification of your scope. You set your scope at 20 yds. Set the speed ring to what you think is close and tweek it depending on your arrow at 40 or 50 yards. If your POI is low you turn it down if it is high you turn it to a higher number. I get mine close then leave it a lone unless I change arrows or broadheads.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I know this has been said before, but I think I'm right in saying that the speed ring really has nothing to do with speed per se.
Not persactly. Diff speeds result in diff trajectories, hence the one fit's all advertising of the 'Zones'. Iow, a guy w/ a Vixen shooting w/ 450 gr arrows can enjoy the same benefits as a guy shooting a min weight [350 gr]FFF string set up w/ an Emax. Probably 100 fps diff in the two.

Like has been stated, the speed ring has nada to do w/ crosshairs. Prove it to yourselves, put bow on sand bags and spin away, the xhairs will never move, they stay centered in the field of view.

Anybody old enough to remember the 'Joe Izuzu" adds? [Phonetic spelling] 'Monee Lau EEE Kikke Bo Bo!!!! :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

lvt01 wrote:I know this has been said before, but I think I'm right in saying that the speed ring really has nothing to do with speed per se. It just changes the magification of your scope. You set your scope at 20 yds. Set the speed ring to what you think is close and tweek it depending on your arrow at 40 or 50 yards. If your POI is low you turn it down if it is high you turn it to a higher number. I get mine close then leave it a lone unless I change arrows or broadheads.
I've heard this many times and with all due respect, changing the magnification on the scope will change the elevation at which an arrow makes contact with the target. It will not change the winding. The elevation changes because as the magnification is increased, the differential between the height of the target on the scope and the angle of the bow will be increased. Essentially, you have to change the angle of the bow more to align your scope markings as the target is bigger. Therefore, because a bow which shoots slower will experience more drop at 30 yards (for example) than a faster shooting bow, the magnification needs to be more when its sighted in so that it compensates for this increase in drop. That's why the speed ring exists. There are ways to sight in your bow without paying attention to the speed indicators, however, the magnification and speed markings ARE pertinent, otherwise they wouldn't be there. Excalibur representatives have explained this at trade shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpx4ZwWIsGc

Check out the link above as evidence.