Bolt cutters, very disappointed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Re: Bolt cutters, very disappointed

Post by raydaughety »

CHski65, there's no telling why the Boltcutters aren't flying well for you but I think that you have the right answer by switching back to SlickTricks. I have the same problem with what used to be my favorite broadhead, Thunderheads. I have killed all my deer using them with my Matthews until I got hurt and switched to an Excalibur.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if they dont work well for you, then try the slicks as you are doing. Everything works different onevery setup. I cant get spitfires to group with a crap.. others split arrows with them. Its tons of factors you can try to change but you can beat yourself to death doing so.

if the slicks worked great... use those;) Ive tried a lot of heads over the years and some worked and some didnt. I could have changed vanes, offsets and etc and maybe got them to work, but again its alot of hassle.

i havent used the bolt cutters and dont plan on using them.. Im using the rage bheads simply because they grouped 1/4th better than the slick tricks for me.. yes im that picky LOL :lol: :lol:

goodluck and stick with the slicks
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sometimes a popular broadhead just doesn't work with your setup.

When Slicks first hit the market everyone bragged on their "just like field point" accuracy. I bought a pack and did not get that same result. Good groups, but NOT with my other broadheads or field points. I tried them over the years with a few different Excaliburs and always got the same results. I tried a couple different arrow types and vane types, but they were still not grouping with field points.
Then I made up a batch of arrows with 8° helical on the vanes (experimenting with the maximum helical I could get and still clear the channel in the rail) and suddenly the Slicks were grouping right with field points!

If you have other broadhead choices that are accurate the answer is simple. :wink:
Use the accurate broadheads. :lol: :lol:

If you're set on using the BoltCutters then it's probably a matter of experimenting with different arrow setups until you find the right one.

I've found that a lot of helical or offset is usually a good thing with fixed blade broadheads, but that's not a rule, just a general guideline. :roll:
wabi
Philzleads

Post by Philzleads »

Shooting a '09 Vortex here, I did have a time of it last year, as this Excal was new to me in '09. First, if I can get a Xbow bolt with feather fletchings I will. Don't know if thats possible without doing my own. The issue I think needs to be addressed is this. You simply cannot use a target that buries your 20" bolts past the plastic fletchings. Once your plastic fletchings are wrinkled in the slightest, you next shot with that bolt will be different.

I have seen some recent posts of targets with bolts in them past the fletchings. Any shooting be it with powder or a bowstring is about controlling the variables, minimizing them. Just letting you know what my issue was when
I went to sight in this Vortex. Even with a "Crossbow Target", this Vortex will bury a 20" bolt at 20yds., into the fletching. The fletching gets wrinkled and then you're done, why continue shooting.

Any pilot would not change his flaps and then expect the plane to have the same trajectory. So all I'm saying is to eliminate that variable.

I also use a bipod and a stool when sighting in, and in the ground blind I hunt out of.

Hope this helps.

The other thing that I did was I weighed all of my bolts with the b-heads on. They are all within less than 5grains of each other. 3 of the 4 in the Quiver are the same exact weight.
Vortex
Boo String
Groundpounder
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Actually there isn't enough info to diagnose the problem IMO.
Are all bolts tight?
What kind of arrows used, alum or carbon?
What is the arrows FOC?
Size vanes?
HOW FLETCHED?
Is the bow still grouping ok with slicks after it didn't with boltcutters?
Tried the head on different arrows?
Check if vanes on that arrow are loose?
Cocking by hand or rope?
Are there vibration dampeners on the bow that may have come loose?
It could be the head but it's truly too early to tell.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Big spread of experiences on this forum. Best said, "one mans trash is another's treasures". Here's 2 cents worth. Spin them!! If you see wobble on the tip, you'll see problems on the target. [IMHO]

You can buy or make a spinner. The deluxe homebuilt is 4 marbles epoxied two next to each other on each end of a board. The hill billy version is 4 finish nails in lieu of marbles bent to make an 'X'. Here's a pic of mine for the anal retentive like myself, lol. [Long story]

Don't assume if one poster is cutting vanes w/ his set up at 30 yds, you can just buy the same goodies and get the same results. There's too many variables, but the spinner reduces them dramatically.

If you, like me, read about Slicks, just screw them on and go w/o spinning, they will eventually bite you in the ass, and I have the teeth marks to prove it, lol. [Hint: you can spin the lil washer to adjust]

I have never found bheight to affect accuracy, poi, yes, but group size, nada. Disclaimer: brand new strings can have 3 diff brace heights 1st 3 shots ['cept Boo's]

Now, y'all go gig some gaggers! :lol:
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'm with Awshucks, check your broadhead run-out. Poor alignment can be caused by insert faces that are not square or just bad broadheads. The Bolt Cutter was brought out to give us better accuracy and generally they do so.
As far as bad choice of words and name calling, I think it is best left to forums like AT but not here. Well said kurisu and those who followed suit.
Some people just like stepping on rakes