Flemish String Stretch

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gdb55

Flemish String Stretch

Post by gdb55 »

I very recently purchased an Exocet, and decided to go ahead and purchase an Excaliber flemish string. Installed the new string with a couple twists in it. The string was between the two marks, slightly closer to the mark closest to the limbs. Today I noticed the string had stretched to the point that it was below the line nearest the limbs. I expected as much, so I added a half dozen or so twists to the string and it was then about centered between the lines. Just checked it again, and it was noticeably closer to the 'front' line again. I'm getting the impression you have to put quite a few twists in these flemish strings before they stop stretching, am I correct? Also, is it better to have the brace height high, low, or in the middle, or is it a matter of testing and tuning the brace height like with a recurve handheld bow? Thanks for any advice.
vixenmaster

Re: Flemish String Stretch

Post by vixenmaster »

Yes the string will creep alot. Cock it push safety on put it somewhere safe let it sit over nite. Then twist it up again, i prefer mine no closer than 1 1/8" from riser rail joint. 1 1/4" is just as good.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

You are on a NEVER ending string stretching journey. I lost count at 30 or 40 twists. I replaced my FFF with a Pre-stretched String from Wyvern Creations. Has only stretched about a string thickness in over a week and alot of shooting.
gdb55

Post by gdb55 »

Well, great. Unstringing is not exactly what I classify as fun. I thought the flemish string was supposed to be the better way to go. Maybe I have outsmarted myself, again.
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I've had a flemish string for several months....it is still stretching. With the string changer it is a 3 min job to put a few more twists in it. Its the nature of the beast.

Long
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Yup, me too! I twist a new one up pretty good, put er on before bedtime to let it stretch out over night and then put a few shots on it in the morning. By shot #3 or so, it seems to settle in and I keep an eye on it but usually it only needs one more twist session in a few days or 30-40 shots later. I really haven't noticed an ongoing problem with it. I am constantly checking my brace height too. I'll be watching a little closer now that I've read this.
In the Wind.......
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

The flemish string on my excal is all I've ever known. After the stretching is over, they're fantastic. I've decided to expand my knowledge of corssbow's and try different accessories to be more knowledgeable. I ordered a Wyvern sting a couple of days ago after reading about them here. I've been shooting compounds and recurves for going on 33 years. I've been experiementing with gear the whole time. I gained enough insight that I've been writing about bow hunting for the last eight years.

The only way for me to grow in knowledge of the crossbow is to follow the path I've always followed in archery: Listen, read, and experiment and gain lessons learned from hands on experience.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

try putting twists on the string so it sits right at or a string width over the farthest brace height from the riser, take a few shots and check or let sit over night, repete.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

The only way for me to grow in knowledge of the crossbow is to follow the path I've always followed in archery: Listen, read, and experiment and gain lessons learned from hands on experience.[/quote]

Wise words Gary, well said.
In the Wind.......