Favorite 5 star recipe

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longwinters

Favorite 5 star recipe

Post by longwinters »

Everyone is either hunting or will be soon. Ya gotta be thinking, at least occaisionally, about that mouth watering favorite venison recipe.... :D The recipe that makes you smile. The ultimate comfort food. The piece de la resistance (sorry thats how it sounds so thats how I spelled it). How about sharing it?

Probably my favorite is called "venison, noodles and white sauce". Start with the white sauce and then do the steaks and garlic noodles.

Venison steaks soaked in cold salt water and red wine vinegar.Peppered on both sides with fresh ground black pepper and fried fast in a cast iron skillet until medium rare. Remember the venison will continue to cook after being removed from the frying pan.

Boil wide egg noodles until al dente, drain and toss with melted butter and garlic salt (to taste).

White sauce - chop up 2 big onions and add just enough water to cover. Simmer until onions are translucent. Put in 1/4 stick of butter. Add 2 cups of heavy cream, and start with 2 tablespoons of lemon pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt. Let simmer for 20 min and then thicken with a mixture of cold water, flour and corn starch. Let thicken and taste. Add more lemon pepper and salt to taste.

Plate venison stks and noodles. Ladle white sauce over the buttered garlic noodles and enjoy.

Long
j.krug

Re: Favorite 5 star recipe

Post by j.krug »

Sounds pretty darn good to me.
I'll have to give it a try.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Yeh, but I am hoping to see some of you peoples favorites.................

Long
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

longwinters wrote:Yeh, but I am hoping to see some of you peoples favorites.................

Long
Here's mine: bacon, toothpicks, tenderloins, charcoal grill. :mrgreen: Have to admit, wish I had your culinary skills.
"Eze 18:21"
Northwoods

Post by Northwoods »

Venison Stroganoff :twisted:

1 1/2 lbs venison loins cut into small 2 1/2-inch medallions
3 cups long grain/wild rice
2 beef boullion cubes
1/2 lb portobello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup red wine
6 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup chopped shallots (can substitute onions)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of dry tarragon or 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh tarragon
1 cup of sour cream at room temperature

1a) start rice cooking in a seperate pot per instructions on the package...bringing the water to a boil and stirring the crushed boullion cubes.

1b) Melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Increase the heat to high/med-high and add the venison medallions. You want to cook the venison quickly, browning on each side, so the temp needs to be high enough to brown, but not so high as to burn the butter. You may need to work in batches. While cooking the meat, sprinkle with some salt and pepper. When both sides are browned, remove the meat to a bowl and set aside.

2) In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and add the shallots. Cook the shallots for a minute or two, allowing them to soak up any meat drippings. Remove the shallots to the same bowl as the meat and set aside.

3) In the same pan, melt another 3 Tbsp of butter. Increase heat to medium high and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes. While cooking, sprinkle the nutmeg and the tarragon on the mushrooms.

4) add the cooked rice to the pan...

5) Reduce the heat to low and add the sour cream to the mushrooms and rice. You may want to add a tablespoon or two of water to thin the sauce (or not). Mix in the sour cream thoroughly. Do not let it come to a simmer or boil or the sour cream will curdle. Stir in the venison and shallots. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with warmed fresh bread and garlic butter... mmmmm :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't really have a favorite recipe, deer meat is good about any way it's fixed. :lol:
A lot depends on the quality of the meat.

The age of the deer, how quickly it died, how quickly it was recovered, how it was field dressed, cooled out, processed, and so on can make the worst recipe taste great, or the best recipe end up in the garbage can. :roll:

Assuming (and that's not always wise) the deer was in good condition and handled properly I would have to say I like to use the K.I.S.S. principal for cooking.

One recipe we use frequently is to take thin sliced loin (backstrap) cuts, brown them in the old cast iron skillet, pour in a can of golden mushroom soup with a little (about 1/4 can) water added, and cover & simmer for as long as you can stand to wait. (usually about 15 minutes in our spam :lol: )
Can't get much easier than that, and there is never any "leftovers" in the garbage can. :wink:
wabi