Opening day here in Va

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Opening day here in Va

Post by crazyfarmer »

Perfectly weather but the big guys just werent moving. I didnt see anything this morning and I came out around 9am to do some family stuff.

I got back in the tree around a soybean field and finally saw some action. Had a total of 10 doe, 1 spike, and a big ol groundhog pay a visit under my stand from 6pm till dark. The way the deer acted, I expected something big to enter the field at any moment but it wasnt meant to be today. One fawn still had spots also. I about pulled the trigger on some of the doe, but I couldnt bring myself to do it since I know whats in the woods and what could come out right after the shot. It took some holding back, whidh isnt easy when they kept teasing me with 10yard quartering away shots for an hour. But it was fun to watch since the doe were running around wild in the cool weather. The spike even chased and grunted after a few of them. Just a young buck thats all confused with the cool weather.

you dont have to kill anything to have a great time:)
wabi

Re: Opening day here in Va

Post by wabi »

Glad I'm not reluctant to whack a doe. Makes for shorter hunts, and plenty of meat for the table. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck!
I know you'll be posting pics of a nice buck soon. :D
wabi
PABOWDUDE60

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

Yeah CF, I was hoping my son in law got a deer today.I think I have him hooked on bow season now.
09 Exomax
Lumizone
Boo String
Ground Pounder Mount
Crazy Farmer Alum Camo Arrows With Bolt Cutter BHs
2016 Bull Dog 400 diablo bolts bolt cutters
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

Good day here in Arkansas as well; deer seen but no kill; CF, can't wait to see pictures of the ones you've got pegged; good luck to all.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Sounds like a good time to me. Stay after 'em.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
strider23

Post by strider23 »

Sounds like you still had a good time out there. Some of my most memorable hunts were the ones where I didn't score any deer. The other wildlife that I was able to see made up for it.
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Sounds like a great day to me !!!

I won't be whitetail hunting for a few weeks yet as I am preparing for the moose hunt next week, but I have a doe tag just about burning a hole in my pocket!!! I can't wait for a chance to see what my Pheonix can do!!!

Can't wait to see some pics of your buck when you get him!! :D
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
JimM

Post by JimM »

strider23 wrote:Sounds like you still had a good time out there. Some of my most memorable hunts were the ones where I didn't score any deer. The other wildlife that I was able to see made up for it.
X2 :D
Nothing better then to have a doe come bed down by you and have her youngins playing in front you.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

JimM wrote:
strider23 wrote:Sounds like you still had a good time out there. Some of my most memorable hunts were the ones where I didn't score any deer. The other wildlife that I was able to see made up for it.
X2 :D
Nothing better then to have a doe come bed down by you and have her youngins playing in front you.
only thing I hate is that you cant move for and you start cramping up. Im usually only about 12ft up which isnt fun when deer are right under you.

Wabi, I wanted to take a young doe for the frying pan, but I'll hold off a few more days. Im getting hungry so all I see are backstraps when I look at them. I just like getting a good idea of whats coming out the first few days. Sizing up dinner in other words :lol: :lol:

Heavy rain tomorrow so Im not sure if I will make it back out or not.
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Sounds alot like my opener. Great to be out there even if we didnt get to pull the trigger.
Crispy