Good but Bad morning

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dereck

Good but Bad morning

Post by Dereck »

Half way up the tree in my climber and a deer snorts and takes off 6:10 am.
Get settled in 7:30 4 point across at 30 yds bow up arrow flys.
Waited 45 min before getting down to check it out found some blood but not heavy tracked it with a buddy for 2+ hrs and 300 yds thru the bush blood slowly dissipated and disappeared.
Feel terrible that we could not find it.
I have read others accounts of similar storie's but this is my first time losing a deer :( :( :(
Tenpoint Matrix
DirtyGun

Re: Good but Bad morning

Post by DirtyGun »

Very sorry to hear about this. You're from K/W. It was raining this morning, right?

Once again...that's why I don't hunt deer in the rain. Blood trails wash away faster than most think.

I will add that if you want to organize a grid search, PM me for my number. I'd be happy to help out.

You could always use Google Earth to view the property from above, then manually set up grids to go through with a few searchers. I'm sure obtaining permission from surrounding landowners wouldn't be much of an issue if you advise there could be a dead deer on their property you want to retrieve.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I love huning the rain, but my range shrinks considerably, and even with a good blood trail my color blindness is usually a problem rain or shine. Give it time and go have another look, i feel for ya man, it stinks when that happens but do all you can to locate it and even if you dont, try to find some consolation in knowing that that deer is not going to waste if it dies. And if it was just a wound then you might just have another crack at him.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
redeye

Post by redeye »

My son couldn't find his buck he shot last night but did find it this morning.It got up and he backed out for the night.I was glad to see him get a nice 8-point with his new axium,his first crossbow buck.I got a nice buck last year with my equinox but had to track it for a mile and finally found it with his help and his friends help.This year I went to the rage 125 broadhead and he used one and the slice it made on his 8-point is very impressive but it still went 300 yards,the shot was close to perfect but a couple inchs low and back,the deer must have had a strong will to live.I hope you find your deer,maybe if you get several friends together and try again it may be found.Good luck.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Dereck,

That stinks, I feel for ya. It's always hard losing any animal. Hope you find him, but if you don't, nature has a way of taking care of it if it dies.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

I could give you hand tomorrow morning Derek? Just shoot me a PM of when and where and I can meet you there.

Will be up early tomorrow because I'm going hunting otherwise! :D

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by strider23 »

Sorry to hear about that bum luck. Hopefully you'll find it.
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Sorry for your bad luck, :(

hope you can find her!!!
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's too bad for sure! :(
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i have 52 deer to my hunting credit and lost 4 others since 1982 it happens to the best of us and i don't know any body who hasn't lost a deer.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Been there, done that :oops: :oops:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Dereck,

Losing a hit deer is a tough thing. I know. You'll never forget it, but you will get over it. Your deer is either still going (they are very tough) or the coyotes caught a lucky break and had a good feed. Wasted? Not really.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
trailcamguy

Post by trailcamguy »

Always a heartbreaker to lose a deer. It happens to everyone, and if it hasn't to some yet, it will if you hunt long enough.
Keep your head up. You did your best, and nothing for you to be ashamed of if it's not recovered. Like another poster mentioned, nothing in Nature is wasted.