O/T southern eastern Ontario pepperettes , Salami etc.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

O/T southern eastern Ontario pepperettes , Salami etc.

Post by catcher »

Since the new regulations came in effect here in Ontario most of all the mom and pops butcher shops who did Pepperettes ans Salami and various smoked meats have thrown in the towel , well at least around my area. Does anybody know of a meat shop that still does pepperettes and Salami and other smoked meat varietys in the south eastern part of Ontario. I know they are few and far in between now. The government regulations made it to hard for the small guys to do the upgrades they wanted them to do ,and they mostly have all closed up. I am willing to drive within a two hour drive from Belleville if I have too. Thanks
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
peter p

Re: O/T southern eastern Ontario pepperettes , Salami etc.

Post by peter p »

What new regulations?
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

Quinn's meats in yarker, really good. btw, what new regs?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Sorry, I don't know exactly where you are, but I think I am in that radius.
I just brought a deer to Carls custom meats, outskirts of Brantford, they took very good care of me and my deer.
I believe Rudy's does game as well. I can dig up some phone numbers when I get back to the office if you would like.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
catcher

Post by catcher »

Now this is just what I was told from a few of the butcher's around my area. That the gov inspectors were coming down on theses guys for not having the proper equipment and necesary health standards. Most shops needed to have a minimum of about a twenty thousand dollar up grade to their shops. One local shop that I used for years needed around thirty thousand in upgrades and he had everyhing to make pepperettes and Salami's and loafs and vacum sealers, smokers walkin coolers and freezers. I think they said it had something to do with their equipment was to old and the smokers had to moved and so on and so on. Just nit picking them to death.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
maple

Post by maple »

It's a bit farther away for you, but I really like Scotch Corner's Butchers south of Carleton Place.

Best Summer sausage, pepperettes and definilely the best garlic sausage in eastern Ontario.

Not the cheapest, but you pay for what you get, and for my venison, I want the best I can afford.

Maple
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

What a load of crap. They come off as "looking out for the well being of the public" while they drive these people out of work. People are so afraid of germs these days that they have create a pill to cure everything except for the loss of common sense.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
mfh

Post by mfh »

Hey - I know this really does not answer the question, but have you thought about making your own? After a few years of giving the butcher loads of money, I bought the gear to make my own. A good stuffer (Northern Tool 5lb which identical to the LEM one - $200) and a good grinder ($300 but you can find them used) and you are in business. Granted, I can not do the sticks like I used to get because stuffing the little guys is a PITA. But, what I found is I can make strips from a jerky gun (Cabelas $50) and they taste the same.

I save the initial investment in less than half a season. Plus, it can be fun trying a bunch of recipes. I eventually got a Bradley smoker, and there are tons of recipes on their forum to try. After a few years, we settled on a few recipes that although I try to diverge...the wife and kids clamor for the same.
catcher

Post by catcher »

Thanks everybody I have looked up a few of your suggestions and have a place to start now. I was worried that everybody was going to fold but I see a few have stuck with it. Just a little further to drive that is all. Thanks again.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
mikej

Post by mikej »

there are 5 shops still making them up this way gerry , 2 of them have just open since the new inspection regs
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
duber

Post by duber »

Amen's in Wellington does peperetts and sausage.I havn't had either yet but will be going there this year as windmill is done.
175 Exocet
Vari-Zone scope
Gold Tip Laser 2's
100 grain Wasp Boss
murrdogger

Post by murrdogger »

Quinns Meats in Camden East/ Yarker. They do a awesome job two and anything you want.