trail cam opinions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deer nut

trail cam opinions

Post by deer nut »

I was thinking about getting a new trail camera have narrowed it down to cuddeback or bushnell trophy cam would like your opinions on which camera to get.
SPITFIRE

Re: trail cam opinions

Post by SPITFIRE »

check out chaisingame.com They give a run down on trail cams.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Can't comment on the Cuddleback, since I don't have one, but I have been using a Bushnell for a couple years now.

I like the long battery life it gives, and it seems to do a decent job of capturing images.
The night pics (and dawn/dusk where the IR illumination kicks in) aren't great, but they allow me to identify most critters that get in front of it. The biggest complaint I have is that the sensor that triggers it covers more area than the lens. It can be triggered, and if the critter stops at the point where the sensor picks it up, but it isn't in front of the lens all you get is outdoor scenery in the pic. :lol:

Still not sure what this was, though. :lol: :lol:
uwc.JPG
Here's a more typical night pic with the IR illumination.
(this buck is in my freezer now, these cameras do offer a good way to "pattern" activity.)
8pt.JPG
wabi
bigbuckonly1

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Would not recommend the bushnell trophy cam made in 2010- you better check reviews at chasingame.com.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
bigbuckonly1

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

The wildgame innovations - X6C seems to be getting some good reviews, hard to beat the price, & uses AA batteries pretty cheaply operated.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Here are a couple of pics from the Cuddeback Captures. I think your choice comes down to personal likes. Do you want a flash, or an IR camera? The Cature is the best flash camera on the market IMO, the bushnell is the best IR camera in the $200 range IMO. Hope this helps.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Have been hearing of troubles from others with Bushnell cameras this year. If you want a similar sized and priced camera Scoutguard is getting great reviews . Trigger speed of about 1 sec, good flash, option of 3 picture burst and or video modes and very good battery life ( it uses AA's )

Google Scoutguard there is plenty of information or you can read riews or comments on the forum of ;

http://www.chasingame.com
LUDDY

Post by LUDDY »

Can't comment on the Bushnell or the Cuddeback but I use the wild game Ir4 and x6c and they seem to work good and the picture quality and battery life is good.

John
2010 Ibex
Groundponder Mount
Firebolts
G5 montecs
Varizone scope
S5 string stop

Remember life is short take somebody hunting
maple

Post by maple »

Why do the chasingame people not incude Cuddlebacks in their reviews?

I too am loking for another trailcam as I am not satisfied with my Bushnell stealthcam (2009).

Many times recently I have been hunting over it and have seen deer in the dark and daylight hours, and turkeys, right in front of it. Eager to see what they were, I've checked the cam and seen nothing. Zilch. Nada. And this is from 11 yards away. It doesn't seem to pick up slow movement as in walking speed, only fast, as in bolting away speed or head swinging speed. This despite selecting the high sensitivity mode and using fresh batteries.

I am quite disillusioned after finding this out. Never would have guessed it if I hadn't been there watching. It turns up lots of activity otherwise, but now I have to GUESS what else it misses. All those big slow moving bucks.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

For the best images the flash from the capture will give you the best results. I have a lot for each. Both work great but the cuddeback images and hands down better. If you want the flash hidden from people, yes I said people go IR. I haven't seen where flash or IR is better as to spooking deer. I would get the capture. Only downfall from the capture is one shot per 30secs. And it doesn't seem to sense as well in 85+temps. In cool weather its flawless.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

crazyfarmer wrote: If you want the flash hidden from people, yes I said people go IR. .

Good point CF . . . I never thought of that. The flash for some folks means, here I am take me. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

sumner4991 wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote: If you want the flash hidden from people, yes I said people go IR. .

Good point CF . . . I never thought of that. The flash for some folks means, here I am take me. :shock:
Red glow IR is very visable to both humans, and deer. So in theory this works, but not 100% in real life. If I was walking by a red glow camera I may or may not see it go off. If I happened to be walking right at it. I would see it almost everytime. Black glow
IR is the way to go. As far as an IR that wont be seen, but its going to run you atleast $500 a camera.
deer nut

Post by deer nut »

Thanks for all your input i believe i will go with the cuddeback capture cabelas has a rebate going on right now 25.00 off on capture and 50.00 off on the capture ir.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i dont like the capture IR unless they have fixed it and made the IR images better. It works, but the images were grainy. The trophy cam had better IR pictures but just slightly.

Plus for the bushnell... 3 shot burst and works well in heat and cold. Battery life is great. Images are fair to decent. Has movie mode which is pointless to me since I want pictures. The camera is very small overall.

Plus and cons for capture: great battery life(bushnell is slightly better). You will always have something in the image when its triggered!!!!! Sensor is great in temps above 80 degrees. You have to be close to camera. When temps get below 70 its flawless. Images are print worthy and you can see detail!

both work.. just depends if you want a budget IR camera or flash.

as fred said, if you want a true IR camera you have to dish out 500 bucks or more!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Here's another option. Really good battery life. http://www.covertscoutingcamera.com/DLCCovertII.html
The only notable drawback that you use a plug in module to make changes to the program and to check battery life.
Some people just like stepping on rakes