Antlerless tag question for Ontario?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TrophyBuck

Antlerless tag question for Ontario?

Post by TrophyBuck »

My question is do I lose this tag if I harvest a buck first? If I remember correctly the tag tells me to affix this to my first tag.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
bucont

Re: Antlerless tag question for Ontario?

Post by bucont »

I'll take a crack at this, please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yes your tag would be gone if that is the only tag you have.
However if you have purchased a second tag (buck only) that can be used thus saving your antlerless harvest.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

Update I just dug up last years additional tag :( and for WMU 78 C,D&E it says valid for Antlered or Anterless Deer. Now keep in mind I cought a buck last year and left my anterless tag on it and now second tag says this. Is this because I had applied for anterless and all adittional tags will be that. If i didden't apply and bought a second tag would it still say the same thing- Antlered or Antlerless?
bucont

Post by bucont »

TrophyBuck wrote:Update I just dug up last years additional tag :( and for WMU 78 C,D&E it says valid for Antlered or Anterless Deer. Now keep in mind I cought a buck last year and left my anterless tag on it and now second tag says this. Is this because I had applied for anterless and all adittional tags will be that. If i didden't apply and bought a second tag would it still say the same thing- Antlered or Antlerless?
Is this second tag a peel and stick and does it have a place to cut the date out?
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
peter p

Post by peter p »

What you shot last year makes no difference on what tag you get this year.
First of all how did you apply for 78 c d e? By mail or phone? If by phone, when they sent you your seal, it would say for "78 c d e antlered or anterless" right on the seal.
If by mail, you will have to attach the sticker on the seal.

If that's the only tag you have then you must attach it to any buck you shoot in any WMU with gun or bow and attach it to any deer shot in 78 c d e with bow only.

If you have an "additional game seal" for 78 c d e then you must use this tag for any deer shot in WMU 78 c d e (bow only).

If you shoot a deer in WMU 78 c d e you should attach the "additional game seal" on the deer so if you plan on gun hunting deer later on you still have the original tag that you received.

So, If you shoot any deer in WMU 78 C d e use the additional game seal first and save the original tag for later.

hope this is clear
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

peter p wrote:What you shot last year makes no difference on what tag you get this year.
First of all how did you apply for 78 c d e? By mail or phone? If by phone, when they sent you your seal, it would say for "78 c d e antlered or anterless" right on the seal.
If by mail, you will have to attach the sticker on the seal.

If that's the only tag you have then you must attach it to any buck you shoot in any WMU with gun or bow and attach it to any deer shot in 78 c d e with bow only.

If you have an "additional game seal" for 78 c d e then you must use this tag for any deer shot in WMU 78 c d e (bow only).

If you shoot a deer in WMU 78 c d e you should attach the "additional game seal" on the deer so if you plan on gun hunting deer later on you still have the original tag that you received.

So, If you shoot any deer in WMU 78 C d e use the additional game seal first and save the original tag for later.

hope this is clear
I only applied for 78E at the MNR office and filled out the draw form for antlerless for 78E for last year and this year. What I was trying to let you know was I used my first tag with the antlerless tag stuck to it on a buck last year. I was not sure if I could harvest a doe after using this tag up. When I went to get an additional tag it was given to me like this peel and stick.
Now did I get a tag like this because I had already applied for antlerless or because there is just so many does there they issue them like this. When I first started this post I did not realize I still had this old tag to reference on, and I was trying to find out if I had to use my 2010 antlerless sticker on the tag that I bought for 2010, or if I could save it for a second tag that I would purchase. I see now there is no need to save it as i will get more doe tags for this unit 78 but it screws me if i catch a deer before i get a chance to hunt another unit like my cottage area WMU62. As the additional deer seal is only for Wmu 78. I just found this in the regs " It is illegal for a person to apply for, purchase or possess more than one licence tag each for moose, deer, or
black bear."
Last edited by TrophyBuck on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

If the tag says antlerless then it is for that if it says antlered then it is for that, if it says antlered or antlerless then it is for either or but not both happy huntin
The best things in life are not things!!
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Yep. You have to read exactly what it says. Some years they give out additional tags for the Archery season and they are Antlerless Only. i.e. you can't shoot a buck with antlers.

My additional tag is for Antlered or Antlerless during the bow season only. My primary tag is for a buck, but I do have the antlerless option that I won through the draw.

Basically the first deer I shoot with my bow gets the additional tag, that way I can still use my primary tag during the bow season or gun season.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!