hard to make a good shoot at 50 yards

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

norwegandeerhunter

Re: hard to make a good shoot at 50 yards

Post by norwegandeerhunter »

Jepp I have tested with some off yours advice back in my head and it worked better for me today, no wind. Groups within two inches at 20 and 30 yards.
But one thing makes no sense to me, at the start the bolt was a little upp left. I went one down on the sight and one right, one shoot to check and the bolt went to much to the right, the height was ok but sideways not :? What the f.... is wrong. So at last I vent one click to the left and there it was, now the bolt hits where i want.
But could it be something wrong with my scoope?
secret

Post by secret »

What kind of scope do you have?
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
norwegandeerhunter

secret wrote:What kind of scope do you have?
Excalibur vari-zone
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

If your right handed and your shots are to far to the right you may not be be placing your finger on the trigger correct Example if you are just putting the end of your finger on the trigger you can pull the shot off ...just slide your finger into the trigger well farther and when you squeeze off a shot inhale hold your breath just for a second ....it paulses your heart beat and that could make a difference. when the shot goes off it should surprize ya .....try it
secret

Post by secret »

Try shooting with a bipod on your crossbow.If you cant hit the center at 50yrds. I would look for better arrows.If you cant split shafts at 30 yrds your not going to have 1 1/2- 2" groups at 50yrds Just so you know i shot those kind of shafts you use and i found them not accurate enough for me.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
norwegandeerhunter

I will try to buy some new bolts to try maybe gold tip and see if it helps, I have been shooting since I have been a kid so I don`t think something is wrong with my shooting skills. Shooting rifle is much like shooting crossbow if I`m not wrong.

I haven`t mentioned it before but I want to want to say that this forum is just great, a lot of helpful and earthy people here I think and thats what makes it so good, thanks everybody! I will return to my question later after some facts has been tested :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

norwegandeerhunter wrote: Shooting rifle is much like shooting crossbow if I`m not wrong.

Yes and no. In firing a rifle, the follow through doesn't have to be held nearly as long as when shooting the crossbow. In fact, as soon as the trigger is hit in a rifle, the bullet is gone before you can lift your head. While knowing how to shoot a rifle can help when learning to shoot a crossbow, it's no guarantee that you will have the same success.

However, if you had learned to shoot the crossbow first, then your rifle skills would be good as well. Since you have to hold your follow through longer with the crossbow, then it helps your accuracy with a rifle.

Think of the crossbow as being a slow release launch. You need to hold the release pose for a second or two. The arrow remains on the rail after the trigger is release. It is possible to move and throw the shot off. Keep your head still.

My accuracy improved with my rifle after learning to properly shoot the crossbow.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

Are you shooting from a solid benchrest or offhanded? If you can't decent groups from a sold rest, then it may be problems with your bolts, heads, etc. If you trying to get good groups standing up off handed at 50 yards, then just you may have exceeded your limits at this point.