Grand Slam Supreme Chains

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bucky205

Grand Slam Supreme Chains

Post by Bucky205 »

I have had the same set of chains on my Grand Slam Supreme since buying the stand in 97. Have replaced with heat shrink couple of times and now have 5/8 " vinyl covering. Chainstill seems fine. I can bounce up and down and no issues. I want some opinions on whether I should break down and spend $50 on a new set of chains? I have never heard of a set breaking.
one shot scott

Re: Grand Slam Supreme Chains

Post by one shot scott »

I wouldnt worry about the chains. I would wory about what holds the chains on. A welded area will rust out before a chain ever will. Most fastners will also break before the chain. In fact even the tubing will go before the chains will. Im not familar with your particular stand, but in most cases if you want a serious case of the heebie jeebies all you have to do is look inside the tubing where its not painted and veiw the rust thats built up over the years.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
secret

Post by secret »

Bucky205, Read This http://www.guncustomizing.com/API-Treestand.htm This works great.Read the part about where you can get new chain .
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
huntingdeers

Post by huntingdeers »

thanks for the link on chains for api treestands.mine is starting to rust.what ever you do dont order any from webstores that you havent dealt with before.i did .if it wasnt for paypal i would of lost my money.i cant name the name of the site but their still out their .they sent me an email today.
secret

Post by secret »

Bucky205 , heres my API upgraded Image
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Bucky205

Post by Bucky205 »

Secret,

That looks really good. I am thinking about replacing mine because of their age. At leas 12 years. I have never realy worried about them breaking. While climbing I run the strap from my harness through the top section and attach to the bottom section. I but my harness on as soon as I step into the stand The strap slides easily throught he top as I climb and the only way I am going to drop is if both sections fail simultaneously. I hunt a lot of travel corridors that are in some mature pines. If the wind is wrong I will usually climb until I am scared and then go about another 10 feet. A store here has a set of chains in stock for like 45. But as soon as the new covering wears off I am going your way with the 5/8 vinyl.
secret

Post by secret »

Bucky205, Do you have a Tractor Supply near you? Thats where i got my chain to climb bigger trees.
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Bucky205

Post by Bucky205 »

Tractor supply wants 19.95 for a 10' section. Can I do it with one piece or will I need two. The stand is over at the camp or I would go measure it. ( LOLO... I know everyone was wondering why doesn't he just measure it). I can get them at a sporting goods store here for 44.00 or API wants 39.00 and shipping. I am thinking my chains are about 6' each side. I have a role of 5/8 vinyl so that part is no problem. I figured I would light up the turkey frier with big pot of water and toss them in one at a time.
secret

Post by secret »

Bucky205, I made 2 sets. one set 6' one 9' i also used 2 packs of tubing from Home Depot{one for each chain]
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string