Scopes and accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Jim

Scopes and accuracy

Post by Old Jim »

Would any of the high accuracy shooters share what brand of scope they use. The power and type of reticle. I would think that to hit a golf ball at 50 yards you would need a good power and more importantly a fine reticle. A dot would hide the golf ball. O.K. for a kill zone on a deer, but not shooting golf balls. I find that the Hawke XB30 have fine cross hairs, but at 50 yards a golf ball looks pretty small using 3 power. I believe any of the Excalibur crossbows have the potential for this type of accuracy, but you must have the corret type of sight. I wish to keep improving and could use your help.
rt2bowhunter

Re: Scopes and accuracy

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Any good high power scope. Match it up with a HHA Optimizer. And your set. From 20yds to how ever far you want. I had mine set out to 90yds and had adjustment left on the dial. For hunting i keep the Optimizer and a Eotech red dot sight. Will one made by Eotech for Bushnell.
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

I'm lost.I Googled up HHA Optimizer and just got V-bow sights?? How do I wed a high power scope ( What Power?) with a V-bow scope? Sorry I sound so stupid.
masboy

Post by masboy »

i like the varizone with triangle dots just set target on tip of triangle fine for 50yd. shooting and hunting. just don,t like the 1/2 inch clicks at 2o yds. i shoot 1-1/2 by 4-1/2 on 4-1/2nikon most time at 50yds.i like the 1/4 inch clicks for better siteing in at 50 yds. golf ball no problem with these scopes at 50yds. with good arrows.i always shoot white squares at any range the black crosshairs and triangles show up real good on them.if not shooting from bench rest i don,t like to much power.
Last edited by masboy on Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use 3 diff scopes when shooting matchbooks at 50 yds using sandbags. Bushnell Elite 1.5x6x42 #4 recticle a Bushnell 3x9 Trophy & a 3x9 Pentex both using duplex
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

look up Hawke crossbow scopes
i think you will like these as well
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

HHA makes a Optimizer just for crossbows. Here is one on my Ibex.
I have also had one on a Strykforce and now on a Scorpyd 125. It worked great on each bow. As far as scopes go what ever you like. If i were to go with a scope. And wanted to hunt and shoot paper with the same sight. I would go with a 2x7 or something around that. If i wanted to just shoot paper and long range at that. I have a 8x32 AO Burris that i could use.
Here is a group shot with a Strykforce
At 70yds
The Ibex will do the same thing
Google HHA crossbow sight base.
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

Thanks much for the most informative comeback with pictures. Great information which I will use. Thanks again for taking the time. It is much appriciated. OLD JIM
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

50 yards, elbow rested on deck rail: Phoenix with Lumizone, golfball sized dot.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

planter wrote:What the heck is that thing rt?? gonna have to look into it. (sigh) :(
Would you believe I
went from a bow i made my self
To that bow all most over night.
That Strykeforce is a shooter. But I sold it and my Ibex is still here. I dont see her going any where.
The Optimizer is a great tool IMO.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"The Optimizer is a great tool IMO."
May be best for those who don't like multiple aim points in their scope and stationary targets. IMO, when it's time to shoot, I'll be shooting not turning knobs.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Cossack wrote:"The Optimizer is a great tool IMO."
May be best for those who don't like multiple aim points in their scope and stationary targets. IMO, when it's time to shoot, I'll be shooting not turning knobs.
Wow where did that come from.Did i step on your toes.
Did i say it was the best or did i say i didn't like multiple aim points.

That does it i taking my ball (golf ball) and going home. I'm not going to play with you no more. LOL I need a good laugh today Thanks.