Small Game Head

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Small Game Head

Post by wheelie »

Found these and ordered them and I like them. Weight 30 grains. 20 of them for 10 dollars. Put them under field points. I figure it makes a hunting head for small game under a dollar a piece. They shoot well.

Last edited by wheelie on Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Missin

Re: Small Game Head

Post by Missin »

Where did you get them from?

Are they sharp or blunt? If they were sharp they look like they would turn a bunny into mince!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Ebay, http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWNX:IT no not the sharpest thing in the world. Have not tried to sharpen because I don't think they need to be. I deer hunt by a pond that geese land in, and hate shooting my rage2 at geese.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Will be interesting to see how you go with them. I tried some similar types, but didn't fly too well from the equinox. Being such thin metal, they're a bit flimsy and not exactly well balanced.
I had a lot of success with 150grain"Varmit Busters" though, and haven't ruined one yet. 0 meter recovery on anything fox size or smaller so far. The equinox doesn't pass through with the 150 grain (slightly bigger diameter), but the standard 125 grain may with more than 340fps. It works on the same principal as a blunt, and the arrow won't dig in to grass if you miss.
Rabbit V Varmit buster.jpg
Howies Varmit Buster.jpg
Last edited by Dash on Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

On first test I shot field point, Rage2 practise head, and small game head from 20 yards with my Hoyt Turbohawk 55# and field point and rage2 practise head were touching and small game head was 1 inch low. More testing later with excalipurs but thats pretty good for first test. Post more when it gets warmer and lighter out and I get out of my pjamas. LOL
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

It seems like the could steer a bolt off course quite a bit what kind of groups are you getting? and what bow are you using?
I may have to test those out if you get them to fly good.
Last edited by gerald strine on Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

Very interesting to see what some of you guys are trying for small game. I am an avid squirrel hunter. Yeah, I know. Seems not many people hunt them any more. I learned to hunt as a child in Alabama hunting squirrels and still enjoy it today. Have a month of it every year here after deer season ends. Anyway, has anyone tried squirrel hunting with the xbow? I really want to. Thats why I am paying attention to what you guys are trying on the smaller game.
DEO VINDICE
bdog

Post by bdog »

I like to use blunt tips for small game,they get the job done and less chance of losing them cause they won't bury them selvse under the weeds and grass......
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
redwolf

Post by redwolf »

been trying g5s smallgame head but no luck conecting yet havnt lost arrow either.